How to work on a mower deck

ol' stonebreaker

Tractorologist
Went out and started the wheel Horse leaf vac and while running it engaged the deck and heard some noisy bearings. Brought it around to the shop and removed the deck. I know I brag a lot about my lift table but it along w/ a 1/2" shim board and 2 C clamps gets the deck up where it's easy to disassemble and work both sides. I also included some before and after pics of the belt idlers showing how I remove the crimp on one side for bearing removal and install the new using loktite. Took about 10 minutes with my little 1/8" electric die grinder.
Larrybl, here's the chain and hook setup I have to take the weight off jack.

Attachments

• P1010003 (Small).JPG
    P1010003 (Small).JPG
    97.5 KB · Views: 15
  • P6210002 (Small).JPG
    P6210002 (Small).JPG
    80 KB · Views: 16
  • P6210001 (Small).JPG
    P6210001 (Small).JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 2021-06-21 00.27.16 (Small).jpg
    2021-06-21 00.27.16 (Small).jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
I've sure been thinking about one of those lift tables. HF has 399 dollar 1000 lb. ones. Can you stand them on end when not being used? Space is a concern in my junk-filled shop.

Nice job on the deck!

DAC

I've sure been thinking about one of those lift tables. HF has 399 dollar 1000 lb. ones. Can you stand them on end when not being used? Space is a concern in my junk-filled shop.

Nice job on the deck!

DAC
I believe mine is rated at 1,000 lbs. The handle folds down on mine so I think you could stand it on end with the jack on the lower end to prevent airlock. Mine fits perfect under the radial saw with the handle up. It's had a near full load test as it's had 4 different portable welders on it and I know my Hobart weighs 700 lb. With the attachments I've made for it it's a handy little helper. The jack leaking under load is the only problem I've had and the chain fixed that. If I'd thought of the chain with the first jack I doubt I'd have had to replace it.

I use an old wagon hoist with a 3T chain hoist. Lift about anything I want from tractor fronts, etc. Hang a mower deck or motor on it at working height, chain to one side to keep if from swinging and good to good. Good for pulling/installing engines. It is outside in front of the overhead shop door so not for cold or wet weather.

I believe mine is rated at 1,000 lbs. The handle folds down on mine so I think you could stand it on end with the jack on the lower end to prevent airlock. Mine fits perfect under the radial saw with the handle up. It's had a near full load test as it's had 4 different portable welders on it and I know my Hobart weighs 700 lb. With the attachments I've made for it it's a handy little helper. The jack leaking under load is the only problem I've had and the chain fixed that. If I'd thought of the chain with the first jack I doubt I'd have had to replace it.
Thanks for the info. Now need to save some coin and get it done.

I use an old wagon hoist with a 3T chain hoist. Lift about anything I want from tractor fronts, etc. Hang a mower deck or motor on it at working height, chain to one side to keep if from swinging and good to good. Good for pulling/installing engines. It is outside in front of the overhead shop door so not for cold or wet weather.
I've got an overhead crane in the shop, but it would be nice to have a tractor at a nice working height sitting level.

DAC

I have that also. Work table 32" high 36" wide and 5.5' long. Two 2X10 -10' ramps with a block under the center, all removable. Winch on the back end to pull them up and ease them down. Center planks are removable to get at the underside if necessary. When not in use it makes a great work bench like it does now with an engine tore apart waiting to come back from getting the cylinders bored out +.10. Ranger fits nicely between the table and the overhead.

Stability is one concern I had for the lift tables I saw several years ago when I built mine. I don't have a concrete floor either.

Any port in a storm. As long as you can get it up there, why not. Have worked on chains saws and line trimmer more than once on a tail gate. Nothing major though, just fuel & adjustments.

That's good news you are back in business! I don't think I've ever seen the Wheel Horse you are using. Got a pic of your setup?

DAC
It's not a real wheel horse, just a toro wheel horse. It only works mainly in the fall vaccing up leaves for veggie garden and flower beds. The chipper is used as a fan to suck up and blow into the tlr. The combo of mower deck and chipper shreds the leaves pretty fine tho I leave the grate and shredder baffle out of the chipper to get max air flow. I put the shredder chute on it recently and shredded a small bale of straw for the veggie garden. The tlr has a swing out tailgate that swings all the way around and is held with a snubber to facilitate dumping. I expect I'll use this a lot come spring when I use my new Billy Goat power rake. I have a sprinkler system so I'll have to flag all the heads and go around them with the Billy Goat. I'll try flagging them when I blow the system out and after the grass dries mark them with ground marking paint and see if it survives the winter so I can get the flags out of the way.
The chipper engine is the new one I put on a couple of yrs ago and just posted a thread about the spark plug shorting out when it was shut down and absorbed heat. I guess as long as cooling air was blowing across it it would stay cool enough to keep making spark.
Sorry for my rambling!!

Attachments

• 2021-06-24 03.09.31 (Small).jpg
    2021-06-24 03.09.31 (Small).jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 2021-06-24 03.09.39 (Small).jpg
    2021-06-24 03.09.39 (Small).jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 6
It's not a real wheel horse, just a toro wheel horse. It only works mainly in the fall vaccing up leaves for veggie garden and flower beds. The chipper is used as a fan to suck up and blow into the tlr. The combo of mower deck and chipper shreds the leaves pretty fine tho I leave the grate and shredder baffle out of the chipper to get max air flow. I put the shredder chute on it recently and shredded a small bale of straw for the veggie garden. The tlr has a swing out tailgate that swings all the way around and is held with a snubber to facilitate dumping. I expect I'll use this a lot come spring when I use my new Billy Goat power rake. I have a sprinkler system so I'll have to flag all the heads and go around them with the Billy Goat. I'll try flagging them when I blow the system out and after the grass dries mark them with ground marking paint and see if it survives the winter so I can get the flags out of the way.
The chipper engine is the new one I put on a couple of yrs ago and just posted a thread about the spark plug shorting out when it was shut down and absorbed heat. I guess as long as cooling air was blowing across it it would stay cool enough to keep making spark.
Sorry for my rambling!!
Nice setup! Weird about the overheating spark plug! I know what you mean about not real Lt's. I revived an abandon fake Bolens for my wife to do some mowing with last winter/spring. So far we haven't been able to get our timing right to show her how to operate it!

Thanks for the pics!

DAC

Back