Huffy caprice help

Sammoore13bolens1053

Hi everyone I own a huffy caprice 7hp mower, I got it going as my Christmas present two years ago.
My problem is that it starts for a moment about 2-3 seconds then stalls, it runs rough when you run it on choke, but runs, but you can only have the choke on when you reach past fill throttle, and I don’t like revving a 50 year old engine, any help appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Those old engines are a lot stronger than you give them credit for. I have an old 10hp cast iron horizontal shaft on a wood spliter that only runs full throttle. Only time it idles is when I run the carb dry when shutting it down. Sounds like you have a dirty carb. Throw a kit in it like HorsesHogsandDeeres said I bet it will run a lot better.

I don't know what fuel you use over there ethenol is a killer, all my small engines I use 93 super with seafoam, rarely any carb issues if any, I also drain/winterize. most of mine is limited use/show garden tractors

I sometimes try just removing the idle jet screw and high speed screw one at a time with the engine running fast and squirt carb cleaner in the holes. MMO in the tank. and run it for a while to see if it improves. Don

Back