Husqvarna lth21k46 deck belt issue

dodge trucker

Tractorologist
I've had this machine for a while, been tinkering with it a little bit At a time, has 1 more issue that is driving me nuts.
It was my neighbors,he bought it new, had a Kohler courage that lost its courage to run, so I replaced it with a Briggs Intek that I ran across at a garage sale, just to get it moving again.
When I got it I pulled the deck and wire brushed the snot out of it, painted the bottom with some old leftover Rust-Oleum I had on the shelf, replaced the blades, greased the spindles and let it set leaning against the shed for the winter (couple winters ago) a year ago spring I went to put the deck back on and been messing with this issue ever since.
While it runs and drives on its original drive belt just fine, somehow the original deck belt is now too long. I noticed it seemed like it sat pretty deep in the grooves so thinking it was wore out I replaced it with another one,same OEM number as the machine calls for. Still too long. I went and bought a belt 1-1/2-2" shorter and had to roll that one on, and the disengage lever, well, won't. If the engine is turning the blades are turning with that belt. I measured the original and the replacement (same number) actually seems a bit longer. But I currently have the (supposed) exact replacement on it. Number stamped in it matches what the "common replacement" sticker under the hood says it needs.
I did have to replace the front deck hanger link as I'd left it dangling when I had the deck off and caught a hole with it, bent the original all to He11. Ordered a replacement from the manual that came with it.
I've levelled the deck, verified air was equal in tires,
been over the routing multiple times, verified the engagement cable is in the right holes, the engagement lever and pulley does have full range, and more. But if it does catch enough to spin the blades (on concrete) it doesn't catch enough to keep em spinning in grass and when I do disengage, it's loose enough that yat it goes flying off
All of the belt guides are in place, it's around all the right pulleys and the correct sides of said pulleys, but it's somehow now too long.
I need to get this one last issue solved so it can go bye bye. The blade engagement worked fine before the engine blew. What am I missing?

Is your idler pulley or arm setup the same way. I know how important that is because I had to replace a spring several times before I got one that kept the slack out of the belt the right tension. DT I had the same trouble last month trying to find a mower belt going by the factory specs. I had one belt that was 1” less in length than I ordered and even had the tag on it. I ended up trial and error finding the right belt. The width can be a problem too. If it’s too wide they are not riding deep enough in the pulley to stay on. Then if too narrow they slip bad. Hope you get it figured out because I know it’s frustrating.

As in replace? No. I removed the deck, the only parts taken off were the blades, (never removed the spindles) and replaced. Never took any parts off the top side of the deck other than the engagement cable was unhooked. The only other thing done with the deck was to wire brush the Hell out of the underside and a heavy coat of some left over Rust-Oleum was put on. Then the deck was leaned against the shed for the winter and put back on in the spring.

Back