I hate roll pins

dodge trucker

Tractorologist
as title says. can't pound them out w/o mushrooming, cut the mushroom off flush and try again. still wont budge. Out comes the smoke wrench. heat the outer part cherry red and the cut off flush part FINALLY starts to move. then they put the hole for the pin straight horizontal, with the mule drive retainer bail right in the way.... wound up hitting a flat punch with a bigger flat punch to drive that one out...… can't drill them either.

I should think if you can heat and cool the pin, you should then be able to drill. Sorry, that's all I've got!

PS Maybe an impact drill with a pin punch?

Some of the locations is a bigger issue than the rolls pins themselves. BP Blaster is your friend on them also.

I hate roll pins. Designed by the devil.

We use roll pins at work to hold retainers on conveyor chains. They either move after a wack or two or the link gets cut apart. 200 bucks a link but 1200 dollars a minute down time....easy math. Its quicker when the roll pin flies right out but that's 50/50

are you just hammering on just one end with a punch? that wont work. on the opposite side hold or have someone hold a piece of steel while you hammering out the pin. roll pins need something to absorb the shock to break loose. don't ask me the science or reason why but this works.

I have a set of roll pin punches that I use. I have had to use a cut off wheel and cut the pin off flush with the shaft or bolt. Usually the heat generated by cutting the pin off will also break the rust bond and let you drive the remaining roll pin out.

Last edited:
If you ever disassemble the band brakes on a Power King they have a solid tapered pin and only pounds out in one direction. Lucky me picked the right durection and ir was still a fight cause i was not the first to work on that pin. I replaced it with a roll pin when I was done. Decided the next guy woukd appreciate the roll pin over the taper pin lol.

Back