I said I like winter.

alleyyooper

Tractorologist
Old pictures when we were young. Brother and I would take a weeks vacation and snowmobile Michigans UP. a cousin was with us on this trip with his Ski Doo, Brother has the Polaris.

Some times I had to have a break due to the night before.

We mostly stayed at the Hotel in Hulbert Mich. wit was always warm due to the wood furnace heat. Breakfast came on a platter not a plate.

Back then only a slect few were given the map to the back side of the falls where there was stairs down to the frozen river.

Trails were nearly always good during the week before the speed crazy warriors arrived.

One year we got 27 inches of snow and we couldn't go any where on the trails. but the next day after the snow had settled and froze we were able to get around fine.

:D Al

Those are some neat old pictures. Brings back memories when I worked for the state and had to patrol on snowmobile. Had an Evenrude 650 with ice cleats on the track. several miles of trails and 650 A lake. About everything was bogie wheels back then. Slides were just starting to make the scene.

I have made many trips to the UP of Michigan to snowmobile a great place to ride. One of the best trip was to the tip of the Keweenaw Peninsula to find that the Coast Guard had run one of their Ice Breakers aground out by the island.
Charlie

I used to like Michigans UP for snowmoblieing till I rode in Minnesota. NON resident trail permint for a season is cheaper than Michigans resident permint.
Minnesota's trails are nicer over all I feel, and they seem to do more at keeping the drunks under control. they also have a speed limit and will enforce it.

A friend was having problems getting his sled to run out good. Lower 1/2 throttle was great. Had it out on a lake with snow drifted and was running it with one hand and adjusting the high speed jet with the other. I hit that sweet spot and it took off, hit a small drift with one ski I wasn't; ready for and off I went about 50+ mph. When I finally stopped sliding and rolling and looked up the sled was about 30' from me facing me. When I went off the sled drop to idle and came to a stop but I kept on going. No injury except pride. Thanks to a good helmet and suit.

That's one thing I've never messed with. We never get enough snow steady to even mess with one. I've seen 1 or 2 in my area. One guy has a big field and when we get snow you'll see his kids out riding it around. Looks old but seems to go good.

My Olde Deere had one of the first Ski Doo sleds, it had a great big 10 h.p. engine in it, lol. Now they make them with more horse power than lots of cars have. He used his to hunt coyotes (when the laws were different or non existant) down on the plains, but often the wind was so severe the snow wasn't good enough to use it. Then he'd get back on Clancy, his standardbred riding horse and run them down, shooting them from horseback. Ah, the good olde days!!

My hunting partner corrupted me. Mid winter March 1972 and snow up to the ears of a tall graffife and he shows up with a used 1969 Scorpion snowmobile. Had a Jlo single cylinder engine I think around 18HP. We rode all over the place on that thing and I was hooked.
Monday morning I went shopping all the dealers In Cadillac Michigan and looked at several. Sno Prince dealer had a left over but they (dealer ship) didn't look like they would last. Wasn't any used ones around either. Some how I ended up at the Mercury marine dealer who also sold Rupps. He was out of rupps but had a 1971 Mercury Rocket with a 25 HP engine (Canadain Curtis Wright) It was 68F by the time I got it in the pick pu and and home where I rode it for about an hour before I left for the week to work.

200.jpg

It wasn't very fast nor all that stable but it always started and ran, didn't fowl plugs or eat up belts and I had fun the rest of the winter. several snow storms in the ensueing weeks had us snowmobileing till nearly mid April. I still own it today and use it a bit every winter.

I decided I wanted a new sled For the 1972/73 winter so did a lot of reading of magizines during the summer and started visiting dealers when I saw them at the county fair and they said they would have them in stock in mid August. Bought a Artic Cat Puma 440, Little short one up sled. had a 18 inch wide cleated track. people started warning me about them whe rideing icy back country roads and how the sled would go into spins if you took curves to fast. I studded the track to solve that problem.

scan0025_zpsqbhuz10e.jpg

It was powered by a 439cc Kawisaski engine. It wasn't every fast either it turned oput but with th e18 inch track was stable.
My hunting partner bought a new 1972 Scorpion 400cc. I could beat him on ice because of the studs and cleats but other wise he ate my lunch.

My brother bought a Chapperal 440 SS fire bird and that thing was fast really fast. He had plug foweling isues if he rode it to slow, Had to keep the hours up on it.
scan0024_zpsywbhjoxj.jpg

I rode that puma cat all of the 72/73 winter and learned to cuss the cleats as they were always breaking (the 73/74 model they came out with 2/3 cleats and a internal drive lugs on the track. I rode that cat al thru the 73/74 season also. It was a hill climbing beast and likes freash deep snow where it shined

But for the 74/75 season I knew I had enough and Mercury was bring out a hot rod sled a Snow Twister 400cc to compete in thr USSA race circuit.
I went to the marine dealer where I bought my first one and also my out board engines for the boat and put my order in for one. Came in Sept.
That thing was sexy fast just setting still. Race it on Saturday and trail ride it on sunday and mondays before I went to work for the week.
Won a bunch of money drag raceing it on grass in the summer and ice in the winter.

scan0022_zps3rp6iji1.jpg

scan0014_zpstck7xjak.jpg

the engine seized on me in 1976 but Mercury had a deal you could swap it for a 340 or 440 for $300.00, it was not a detuned engine either. I chose the 340 as I felt the 340 was plenty fast and I was right. I was eatting my friends Eltigre 340 Z so much he stopped wanti9ng to race me. My brother bought a new 1978 Polaris 340 TX and it was no match for my twister.

I still own it and take it out during the winter to race across the lake a few times.

But it although stable sled and freaky fast didn't do well in the UP deep snow. My brothers TX liked that deep snow so for 1979 I bought a Polaris 340 TX, should have waited a year for the Polaris indy txl 340 to come out.
I sold the 79 TX and bought a 1981 Polaris indy TXL. Loved that sled and road it for ever but by 1999 I wanted oil injection so bought a Polaris 550 ss. didn't car for it missed my Indy. sold it after the one winter. Bought a 2001 Indy 500 Classic at the end of the 2001 season. Is what i ride today and probably won't ever buy another sled.

I don't like snowmobiles. Someone gave me a 1972 Artic Cat 440. Used it to drag trees home for two winters then got rid of it and have had no desire to own another one. Was chasing a Jack Rabbit with it and almost went through a barbed wire fence. That was enough for me.

There must be something about chasing jack rabbits, Chris. They're tricky little jokers and can turn on a dime and give you change. When I was 8&1/2 months pregnant with son #1, I foolishly took off after one of them over those hard south Sask snowdrifts. He twisted a sharp left and I flipped off right and rolled like a basketball about thirty feet and ended up tangled in our own fence. No harm done (except to my pride), I'd pretty much slowed down before I hit the fence. The ski Doo was still idling when I got back to it and the Jack was long gone, probably laughing his ears off.

A person gets so focused on the rabbit that you don't see anything else. When I got stopped the barbed wire was climbing the windshield and my neck would have been next. And yes the Jack got away. :thumbs:

Back