Identify this disc harrow. SCUT or lawn tractor, no clue.

BMaverick

YANMAR GURU EXTRAORDINAIRE
So, where I got the free MIG welder, I now have this disc harrow. no markings no info. The guy used a Toro with a 1200-lbs winch to lift it with a pulley. He sold the Toro, so I just have the disc harrow. It was last used 3 years ago. I'll power-wash the so called barnacles off as it sat under an old tree. All the discs move freely. It's as heavy as a Chevy. 4FT wide too. It would be easy to convert it over to a CAT-0.

20230414_185703 - Copy.jpg

20230414_185713 - Copy.jpg

20230414_185730 - Copy.jpg

20230414_185802 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:
Have no clue as to the brand/maker. Heavy built unit for sure. Looks like the back section of a tandem disk. I would guess the "tongue" is a home made affair. Regardless of how it is pulled I bet it will turn some dirt.
After looking at various online images of larger disc harrows, I can conclude you are right, this thing is a cobbled version from something much larger.

The width is 48 inches, 4FT. The discs are 16 inches in diameter. This is not the normal size for a lawn tractor nor an SCUT.

It does perform very well for a single left and right gang. Here is virgin soil making 3 passes for about 12 feet wide along the front by the road. I have a Harbor Freight 2500-lbs winch to pull it up with ease. I would assume the 1200 winch would work just fine with it too.
20230415_110139-copy-jpg.85942

If you could swap sides with the two blade sections, angle then to turn the dirt in with the center blades almost touching will work better I think and reduce the strip in the middle down to an inch or two. Got a lot there to make something very useful and workable.
This was the area where the tree service came in along the roadway and took out all those pines. The disc was grinding those roots and snapping them in half. Since this thing is weighy it rarely jumped up unless it was very close to a stump.

For a simple tow-behind, it racked really nicely. It did not wander around like some of the lighter lawn & garden smaller disc harrows I've tried.

I gave it a nice power-wash cleaning. Those woods barnacles were stubborn to get off. LOL

20230415_121310.jpg

It has this fancy adjustment. Yet I don't think it would work as the top angle iron is welded in place.
1681653890620.png

Grease fittings are really nice too.
1681653986937.png

Back