Importing a tractor from US into Canada?

mac102004

Tractorologist
Does anyone here have any experience importing a GT from the USA into Canada? Looking into importing an Ingersoll 7020L, not sure what fee's, taxes, duties etc. I need to expect, and what I need from the original owner before I get to the border.

Contact Canada Customs. get your info from the horses mouth. Importing rules change frequently. In all likelihood being a tractor only a bill of sale required

I did the opposite a few years back. I brought a Massey Ferguson 16 & 626 back to the US from Canada. We crossed at the peace bridge in Buffalo. I filled out a bill of sale, which I printed online. They were more than satisfied with that. I didn’t have to pay any fee’s at all. It was way simpler than I expected it to be. But I agree with Jazz, call and ask. I called too before hand just to be to be safe. Not sure how it is going into Canada with a tractor.

I did the opposite a few years back. I brought a Massey Ferguson 16 & 626 back to the US from Canada. We crossed at the peace bridge in Buffalo. I filled out a bill of sale, which I printed online. They were more than satisfied with that. I didn’t have to pay any fee’s at all. It was way simpler than I expected it to be. But I agree with Jazz, call and ask. I called too before hand just to be to be safe. Not sure how it is going into Canada with a tractor.

So far what I've figured out is I'll need to at least pay GST (tax) on it, which I think is 5%. And need bill of sale. Haven't heard of anything crazy yet. I was told the tractor (and attachments) need to be visibly clean as well, no dirt.

No, I figured I'd log into a small internet forum of 400 members and be instantly provided with all the information needed, and no further research on my part would be necessary....lol Of course I have been researching the topic.
I was covering the basics, a bit like I sometimes have to ask people if they entered a space before or after a password while trying to login somewhere... and I've seen this situation!

Was this tractor registered somewhere in the past? If it's been "on the road" it might be harder to import if you don't have the registrations /:

So far what I've figured out is I'll need to at least pay GST (tax) on it, which I think is 5%. And need bill of sale. Haven't heard of anything crazy yet. I was told the tractor (and attachments) need to be visibly clean as well, no dirt.
Yes, NO dirt allowed into Canada. Learned that from DHI when he came to my plow days. He had to get his tractor and plow good and clean or they'd not let him go home!

Well, looks like I'll have to pay sales tax on it a well, so full 15% for us here in NS. Thought I might get away with just HST (5%) but no luck. I've sorted out the rest of the details, seems pretty straight forward.

Put a deposit on the tractor today so if all goes well I should have it landed here in my yard by the end of the month if not early next month.

Back