Inline Spark Tester Question

Sawdust

Jim from Kentucky
Staff member
I’ve never used one of these until today. Is an orange spark considered weak like on a spark plug or should it be more of a blue or bright spark.
I’m working on a Kohler Courage 23hp Twin. Here is the tester I’m using.
0D4167CC-054E-4A18-8D70-2EDA854BED0E.png

Here's a interesting read on various makes, models ,prices.
Who's better or best IDK.. The little I read is some tell you have spark but not necessarily how good.

"Disclaimer" all done by experts...

1647445742898.png
I'm using one of these but they are delicate. There is just a hair wire connecting the neon bulb to the leads. If you pull on the wrong thing that wire breaks and you have a very delicate soldering repair to make. I'm going to be gluing the black leads into the glass tube to prevent this. I like the long leads on these as I can position it to be seen from the operators position on a boat.

I don’t have any of those new fangled fancy gadgets. Hehe. I just do the check the old way, ground plug on block, put wire on plug, turn engine over by the start switch. Look for spark. Dark area is best to see spark.

Noel

Hard to be in position and stay there to see the light and pull the start rope at the same time. Those bulb type are useless as every time i wanted to use one the bulb was burned out. Just threw four in the trash the other day.

xcept that clamp really sucks. Week, falls apart, won't hang on
Those bulb type are useless as every time i wanted to use one the bulb was burned out. Just threw four in the trash the other day.
Roger you are one unlucky guy. The fake sparkplugs I bought many years ago from my brother in-law's Simplicity dealership have a clamp on them that will bring tears to your eyes if you get it on your finger. The only bulb that's been thrown away is one I accidently smashed. They are flimsy that way.

Roger you are one unlucky guy. The fake sparkplugs I bought many years ago from my brother in-law's Simplicity dealership have a clamp on them that will bring tears to your eyes if you get it on your finger. The only bulb that's been thrown away is one I accidently smashed. They are flimsy that way.
I got mine from NAPA. Spring kept jumping out, clamp fell apart, etc. Probably sheep china stuff. After I soldered the wire on the clamp area and with clamp on the end it works great. The bulb type - the bulb would turn black as coal so no use even trying it. Cheapies off the internet some place again China knock off.

Think my luck may be improving. Nothing quit or froze up for a couple weeks now. :thumbs:

Last edited:
Back