Interesting Battery Info

Thanks Jim, since I will be needing one, Wally World will be worth checking into. The one that died in my MF12G is an Interstate and at least 7 years old. The guy I bought the tractor from in 2011 was an Interstate dealer. I wonder what company makes Interstate? They get a considerable mark-up for the name I think! Couldn't find a date, but the racecar on the sticker was from 2006 or 2007 due to the driver name on the roof!

DAC

Attachments

• DSCN1283.JPG
    DSCN1283.JPG
    223.9 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I have those walmart batteries in my farmall super c and ariens s14, they're good batteries, gt's usually get tsc huskee batteries, but now they no longer sell them, all there batteries are branded traveler, there's a napa and one from Advance Auto in the mix as well, they've proven ok.

I got 8 years out of a TSC Gold battery, no idea who made them for the Canadian market.
My mower tractor is a JD STX38 and only a lawn tractor battery would fit. I cut the hole a bit bigger and now a medium sized car battery sits in there, Its gonna last a while I bet. Mower probably wont last that long.

Nice I bought one from tractor supply that didn't last a year. Replaced it with one from walmart and still using it.
On another tractor I put an advanced auto autocraft battery in and its been fine too.

2050013_alg_u13_pri_larg.jpg

I will post a pic tonight I can't remember the model number of it but I had one those battery booster packs that went south, I kept the battery and put in a wheelhorse, they are a very small compact size with higher cranking amps, online they are only around 20-30 bucks shipped, I plan ordering a few more it worked great all summer

How many people are making batteries? Exide? Johnson Controls? Delphi?. I can't think of many.

I always thought interstate just painted their name on whoevers they bought. So you could get just about anything. Last I looked Walmart batteries were supplied by Exide.

The last few batteries I have bought have been from rural king. The one in my ranger is 3 or 4 years old. It sits all winter without a tender. Goes dead, I jump it in the spring, and it comes back to life. I've been happy with it.

There are only 3 major battery manufacturers in the USA, Exide, Johnson Controls and East Penn. Companies like Interstate buy from all 3 buy mainly Exide and Johnson Controls. NAPA batteries are made by Exide. Walmart's EverStart batteries areade by Exide mainly with a few coming from Delphi. Autozone's batteries come from Johnson Controls but are manufactured to Autozone's specs not Johnson Controls. Sears Diehard batteries are made by Johnson Controls and the also make the Motorcraft batteries for Ford. ACDelco batteries are made by Middle East Battery Company is in Saudi Arabia; Wisconsin-based Johnson Controls owns 49 percent of the company and investors own 51 percent.

There are only 3 major battery manufacturers in the USA, Exide, Johnson Controls and East Penn. Companies like Interstate buy from all 3 buy mainly Exide and Johnson Controls. NAPA batteries are made by Exide. Walmart's EverStart batteries areade by Exide mainly with a few coming from Delphi. Autozone's batteries come from Johnson Controls but are manufactured to Autozone's specs not Johnson Controls. Sears Diehard batteries are made by Johnson Controls and the also make the Motorcraft batteries for Ford. ACDelco batteries are made by Middle East Battery Company is in Saudi Arabia; Wisconsin-based Johnson Controls owns 49 percent of the company and investors own 51 percent.

NAPA batteries are not made by Exide anymore, they have been made by East Penn for the past few years.

I'm thinking of this outside the box maybe...

If there are only 3 manufacturers making batteries that kinda makes our decisions easy.

Then they go and put many many different brand labels on and makes our decisions really really difficult again.

Then to make it worse they all offer a "good, better, best".

I'm really confusing myself now ! o_O

There are only 3 major battery manufacturers in the USA, Exide, Johnson Controls and East Penn.

So, all the advertising and all the reputations are out the window? It's just a crap shoot how good any given battery will be.
You know how it's always been. . . a guy's always had Fords. He bought one Chevy once and it was a Total POS. He's a Ford Man. His friend had just the opposite experience. He's a Chevy Man. Each one is stead fast in their beliefs and have the experience to back it up. Batteries and political parties are chosen the same way.

So, all the advertising and all the reputations are out the window? It's just a crap shoot how good any given battery will be.
You know how it's always been. . . a guy's always had Fords. He bought one Chevy once and it was a Total POS. He's a Ford Man. His friend had just the opposite experience. He's a Chevy Man. Each one is stead fast in their beliefs and have the experience to back it up. Batteries and political parties are chosen the same way.
Exactly ...My neighbor bought a battery from napa...it died in 2-3 months...he brought it back and they exchanged it with the same type and brand and its been fine over a few years now. Just like another guy posted above he had good dealing with TSC Huskee batteries but for me I got a bum one.

Glad I found this thread. I used to use interstate batteries. I have one in a round fender 110 right now that is 9 years old and still going strong. That is all i used to buy until I tried the Huskee battery from tractor supply. I have bought quite a few of them and I only had 1 dud so far. Now that they don't sell them anymore, I think I will have to try the wally world batteries. My dad used to use those when I was a kid and I don't remember him ever giving one a good review, but that may have changed over the years. One thing I know that seems to help with batteries is taking them out in the in the winter time. I take all of mine out except for the the ones in my snow plow machines and take them in the basement where the wood stove is. Really seems to help with the longevity of them.

Mike

Back