Intermitant Smoke

chieffan

Tractorologist
Have a White 1655 with a 16 hp Briggs L head. During normal light duty use it will suddenly start to smoke heavy for a few seconds then quit. for a few min., then it would smoke again. Side to side lean makes no difference nor does the load or engine speed. Looking for places and or suggestions to start with. It goes on the work bench for linkage repair on the hydro so while it is in the shop thought I would work on that issue also. Don't get used much but the only unit with a 3 point.

Last edited:
Crankcase ventilation valve sticking open periodically? Hope you get it figured out, Roger!

DAC

Make sure it doesn't have gas in the oil.
Is you oil level too high?
Oil level was in the "safe" area. No gas in the oil either that I can tell. I think the right cylinder breather valve is stuck open. Pushing oil up through breather tube in through the filter into the carb. It is al old engine that was in the tractor when I got it. Rescued before the big river flood a few years back. Just got it running and used it. Has been parked since early spring.

Disconnect the breather tube from the air filter and see if it still smokes. The filter should show recent signs of oil on it. If so wash it in gas and let it air dry.

Run and use til it blows up
Just rebuilt one of them and not ready to get into another one this time of year. Not a feasible was to do it anyway but it is an option.

Filter did have oil on it on the one side. Turned it around for a short drive to the storage building. My be spring before I get it in the shop to work on it. No heat out there and cold tools and arthritis do not get along very well.

Wood shop is insulated and has heat. Bet I can find something out there to mess with this winter. Or play around on the mini lathe in the basement.

Back