international lb ??

jabelman

Tractorologist
I am not really educated on these, this was in my wife's family, it's froze up. I don't know if it's worth fixing or can be fixed, are parts available? any idea what's missing, I do have what's left of the fuel tank that's rotted away

Attachments

• 20180707_091806.jpg
    20180707_091806.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 30
  • 20180707_091814.jpg
    20180707_091814.jpg
    173.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 20180707_091825.jpg
    20180707_091825.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 27
I have seen stories about old stationary engines that sat on the bottom of a lake for years and were resurrected. The values vary widely and wildly. They are often shown at county fairs and such around Washington. Any thing can be fixed if you have enough interest. If it is worth it or not is a more personal thing. If it is an attempt at financial gain I would say there are many easier ways and more sure ways to make a buck. If you restore it your only real payment will likely be the pride of accomplishment. Don

I grabbed it otherwise it was going to the crusher. I should make something with casters on it so I can move it easier, it's low on the priority list to do anything with

I always thought I'd like to get a hit & miss engine. If you were closer I'd try prying it out of your hands. I'm sure it can be freed up and running without too much effort.

I always thought I'd like to get a hit & miss engine. If you were closer I'd try prying it out of your hands. I'm sure it can be freed up and running without too much effort.
That's a governed engine, I believe.
Still cool. Love those old power plants

Yes, governed.
A pretty common engine should be easy to find parts for.
I don't see a carb.?
Generally $150 complete to maybe as high as $350 running good - although one sold at auction @ Memphis, Missouri 2 years ago for $1100.
No one could figure out what the 2 bidders were thinking. :eek:
See if you can get-er going. THATS where the fun is.

I think that is worth saving even as art if nothing else, or parts for someone else. I would not pitch it. I did pick up watching a Velocity program where Wayne Carani put Marvel Mystery oil in the car engine cylinders when the engine was stuck.

Thanks for the correction Doug
I always just heard them referred to as hit-and-miss or governed.
So the technical terminology would be throttle governed?

Most all engines are "governed". Hit and miss is a form of governing. This engine is throttle governed.
I knew watching the video of the similar engine on Ricks home brew "John Deere" ran too evenly for a hit & miss engine, but didn't realize engines that looked like this came throttle governed. Learn something new all the time!

Yes, governed.
A pretty common engine should be easy to find parts for.
I don't see a carb.?
Generally $150 complete to maybe as high as $350 running good - although one sold at auction @ Memphis, Missouri 2 years ago for $1100.
No one could figure out what the 2 bidders were thinking. :eek:
See if you can get-er going. THATS where the fun is.
Yes the carb is gone, I got to find photos or parts diagram to see if anything else is missing. it would be challenge to get up and going for sure who knows maybe someday

I think that is worth saving even as art if nothing else, or parts for someone else. I would not pitch it. I did pick up watching a Velocity program where Wayne Carani put Marvel Mystery oil in the car engine cylinders when the engine was stuck.
I like Waynes shows neat dude, I remember seeing something years where someone freed up a stick engine with coke cola soda

The variety in design in the hopper cooled stationary engines is fascinating. I have part of a Fairbanks Morris 3 hp Z engine. I have never gotten it to turn at all. It sat for years leaning against a fence in the weather with the cylinder pointed up and the head off. I have no ignition parts no fuel delivery no rockers. I have seen the same engine in running condition so have an idea what is missing. Just the most expensive parts. My engine is an open crank variety with greese cups on the Babbitt main and rod bearings. It is also missing the drip oiler for the piston. I don't know how the lb is lubricated. looks like it could be splash oiled but I don't know. Can some one enlighten me. Don

The LBs were splash oiled.

Don, try cleaning the cylinder on both sides of the piston, especially the back. Stand it up and pour some kero in the cylinder. A couple inches if you can. Light the kero and walk away until it burns up. Use a block of wood about the same size as the bore and see if you can knock it out. I've never had that method fail me but sometimes it takes a few tries.

It is really not for me to say but I,m okay with it .I also have a McCormick Deering Model M 1.5 hp manual but it weighs in at 13 mg .Cheers Mike

This should help you Cheers Mike
awesome big help. who knows maybe down maybe I will do something with it, it's more of sentimental thing to hang on to, back in the late 70's and early 80's this used to be a show engine.

Back