JD 317 questions

It may be the Series I engine. Series II started in 1982. But it may have been changed out already! Look for an oil filter on it.

i havent seen any pictures other then what he has listed on fb market place i did ask to get for the serial number picture to get the year of it

It could be either engine, just need the serial off the engine to tell. I have a series II and it doesn't have an oil filter. I think the 300 series attachments should work, they are in the same family. What attachments are you talking about though?

It could be either engine, just need the serial off the engine to tell. I have a series II and it doesn't have an oil filter. I think the 300 series attachments should work, they are in the same family. What attachments are you talking about though?
Where on the engine tin would that be located?

You need the engine spec number to know if it is a series I or II, 24300 I think was the change over. But if it runs then I wouldnt worry about it... I have a 317 with a series I and it runs fine. Ive heard that you should avoid going sideways on hills with them.

Attachments

• 019.JPG
    019.JPG
    185.5 KB · Views: 4
I havent had a mower on this 317 yet but Ive had the tractor a couple years and used it to pull carts and harrows, it seems like a nice strong engine IMO.... only engine related issue it has is that the muffler is badly rusted out, and the tractor appears to have been very well used before I got it so it seems to have alot of hours and still going strong. I started working on the deck a couple days ago, its going to need a couple bearings before I can mow with it. Im not a big JD fan but it seems like a nice tractor to use and has a nice tight turning radius.

All of your closed frame 100-300 series attachments will work on the 317. The series 1 engine is a good engine, they just didn't have a fully pressurized oil system and had a oil starvation problem if they ran on a side hill for any length of time.

well i traded for it last night it has the 50" deck an the tin is in good shape however some people should never be aloud to use electrical tape or even touch wiring but it was that way when he picked up, said the pto wouldnt work i found out it wasnt even hooked up at all an has 3 splices in the wiring. But i think this will be an easy project an should be rewired an running in no time

I've got some parts for one of those- frame, front axle, rear end, and a bucket of stuff.

Back