JD X304

KennyP

In memory of Alice's Creator
Staff member
Working on this machine for a customer. Has an issue with the governor. It's a Kawasaki FH491. When you start it with the throttle at low speed, it idles well. But once you move the lever, it goes to wide open until you shut it down. Governor lever will not back off when it's running like this, leading me to think it has an internal issue. You cannot get it to go back to idle at all, even tried pliers on the throttle linkage. Wouldn't budge. Is this thing about to self-destruct?

Guess I will be going there. Tried to do an adjustment on the governor externally as we do on engines and the shaft broke of due to someone over tightening the through bolt. Cannot find a service manual for this, suspect it's a JD secret!

I know most use a plastic governor gear and not unusual to fail..
This governor tags on the end of the camshaft, so no plastic gears to fail. But oftentimes, this style of governor has plastic "fingers" that separate the steel balls in the governor, and they break, causing the balls to gather together and often jams the cup to one side and locks it in place.

I've got a Kaw engine in the back yard in a JD160, but I imagine it isn't the same as yours. It is a FB460V. Don't know if pieces might interchange. I plan on scrapping that engine one of these days and seeing if a B/S may work as a re-power.

DAC

Sent a text message with link to a used governor shaft assembly on ebay.
I bought that, Daniel. Also found a used camshaft with governor. Both will be here by Tuesday. I hope JDJake can get something so I know what to look for when pulling that bottom cover. Not sure what parts may come flying out.

Back