John Deere and their weird bearings

MacWorld

Tractorologist
Lately I understood something about the bearings JD8665. Those seem to be used on a lot of JD products and they are somewhat weird.

John-Deere-Parts-Ball-Bearing-JD8665.jpg537060968_w640_h640_img_40461.jpg

If you look closely you can see that the inner race is protruding from the bearing and that it has a non-concentric shape. Looks like a weird and complicated design doesn't it?

Well there is a reason and it's in fact quite nice. Those bearings are NOT meant to be press-fit, they are slide fit. The downside to this is that the inner race might have a tendency to spin on the shaft which is definitely not a good thing.

If you look closely with those bearings there is always a round "spacer" with them, JD8554. This part is called an Eccentric Locking Collar.

jd8554.jpg

Those parts are meant to work together! The Eccentric Locking Collar's goal is to slip over the inner race and keep it from rotating by being locked to the shaft with a grub screw (set screw).

This concepts make sure the bearing can easily be installed on the shaft and that it will never spin on the shaft!

I had a hard time understanding this since my snowblower and my snowthrower were both really worn out when I bought them and most of the bearings sized in the past and when this happens the inner race of the bearing will machine the collar to the point that it will no longer have the eccentric feature.

Those collars are inexpensive, if you replace a bearing and the collar is worn or the grub screw is stuck or the Allen is stripped, don't waste your time and replace them!

BTW... When you are installing the bearings and they are giving you a hard time sliding on the shaft... Make sure the eccentric collar and the inner race of the bearing are aligned, if you use a hydraulic press and those are not aligned you will "wedge" the collar on the shaft and the inner race. In tight spaces it will be quite hard to remove. Ask me how I know that ):

Hopefully this information can help someone else!

The collars I've seen have a round hole in them so you can use a pin punch and hammer to tighten it on the shaft. Always tighten the collar in the opposite direction of rotation.
Mike

I don't know to which extent it's required to lock them tightly, I rotated them manually as you said but I think that the 5-10° of rotation that it MIGHT do if the shaft spins in the inner race before it locks itself will not harm anything.

I was guessing quite the opposite, that those holes where used for removal if the assembly (collar+shaft+bearing) gets locked together too hard.

I would be curious to read a shop manual that mentions those bearings/collars!

Ok I found a Technical Manual: TM1763 - 4000 Series Compact Utility Tractor Attachments

Installation
- With the lock collar over the bearing collar, rotate the lock collar about a quarter turn until it has wedged tight over the bearing collar.

Removal
- Loosen locking collar set screw. Loosen locking collar from bearing by tapping it counterclockwise with a punch and hammer. Remove flanged and bearing and locking collar.

I guess it must be tight but not that hard.

Not just Deere, have seen that style of bearings in general industrial applications before as well as (like shorty said) on other brands of machinery too.

General agricultural type bearings, and industrial apps as said. I have installed literally hundreds of those on our farm equipment over the years.

I installed many of that style bearing up to at least 2 3/16" when I worked on the crushers, so they're not exclusively for small stuff.
Mike

Back