John Deere makes it Impossible . . .

JD has always been that way. Guard their manuals and software with their green paint. But most other brand are getting so without the software for a computer one cannot diagnose or repair anything. Case in point: Last fall I was helping the neighbor haul corn. A late model Case IH tractor on a grain cart would not engage the PTO part of the time. Had it diagnosed by IH tech. Alternator problem. $250 for the service call. The alternator has 3 separate sections. 1 charges the battery, 2nd operates the lights & electronics and the 3rd operates the computer. The second part of the alternator was bad. $500 for a new alternator. Now how stupid is that? ?

I watched a video back in the fall, I saw one guy had cracked the ECM back then. Even if you replace a simple sensor, the dealer has to re-program the tractor or it won't start. John Deere is claiming possession rights to the complete tractor and trying to make it illegal for the "owner" to work on their own tractor.

I watched a video back in the fall, I saw one guy had cracked the ECM back then. Even if you replace a simple sensor, the dealer has to re-program the tractor or it won't start. John Deere is claiming possession rights to the complete tractor and trying to make it illegal for the "owner" to work on their own tractor.

https://jalopnik.com/carmakers-want-to-make-working-on-your-car-illegal-beca-1699132210

This was floating around for cars. They make mention of John Deere as well. This was 4 years ago.

Back