John Deere X570 Review

Toomanytoys84

Aaron
I had this thread going on the John Deere section at "the other site". I wanted to move it over here and share my experiences with a new tractor that is capable of being what I consider a modern garden tractor. Plus my thread might help out fellow tractor enthusiast as well if they plan on purchasing something new and I know a lot of people don't have much faith in new products. I want to share how this tractor holds up to my use. I hope to update this every so often with a little report of what I have experienced.

I started my journey last fall. I started searching out all the different tractors that I felt were heavy enough for my intended use without experiencing a failure due to over working it. I took to the forums for suggestions. All kinds of ideas came in ranging from don't buy new junk, to check these out. I traveled all over visiting different dealers. Simplicity, John Deere, Cub Cadet, ect ect. Everyone offered a nice tractor, except to me the Cub Cadet X3 series is called a garden tractor but speaking with cub they do not suggest this tractor to be used for ground engaging implements.

After searching long and hard, reading specs. I ended up buying a John Deere X350. I settled quite a bit. I decided I didn't want to spend nearly 7 grand, and went for a lawn tractor. Quickly found out before the 1 month "John Deere Promise" was up that this tractor was not what I wanted, and it was undersized for maintaining nearly 4 acres of lawn between myself and my dad. My key deciding factors for this wasn't exactly the tractor size, deck size, engine size, performance of the unit, but mainly the non-serviceable transaxle in the X350. One afternoon I spent nearly 4 hours on the X350 and when I got off I decided to see how hot the transaxle was. I was astonished to find that I could not keep my hand on the transaxle for more than a few seconds before it became too hot to touch. I thought to myself that this non-serviceable unit was not going to make the cut! Saying that, the X350 is a FANTASTIC lawn mower. It had the best cut I have ever seen. It would be fantastic if you have a smaller yard to maintain such as 1 or 2 acres.

I went back to the dealership and turned my X350 in on the JD promise, and got a X570. Bigger engine, Bigger Deck, Bigger body, and the fully serviceable transaxle(with larger axles, and a much higher torque rating). After cringing a little handing over another 3000 dollars for this new machine I scheduled delivery.

A few days later my new tractor was delivered. Initial impressions were that this tractor is several times the machine that the X350 was. The K72 delivers much more punch. Especially on the small bank in my yard new to my house that I mow up and down. You can creep up the start of it, floor the tram pedal and the tractor will shoot up over it like a scaled dog. The 48" Deck offers a nice cut. It doesn't scalp or drag, it however I do feel the 42" deck offered a slightly better cut. It is super comfortable. Easy to steer. The twin touch hydrostat pedals are very comfortable and smooth. The foot operated deck lift is fantastic. The ground speed feels quite quick. I have done some tests cutting straight lines as fast as it will go, and at a more reasonable speed. The difference isn't much. You can quickly bang out some grass if you have a smooth area to cut. The Kawasaki engine is fantastic. It is smooth, quiet, easy to start, and just plain seems to have plenty of power for the application. The one option that I thought was a waste was the differential lock. I never had a tractor with one before, and after owning one with it, I don't think I want to not have one. It is a very useful feature that I imagine will be even more useful when using the plow or sleeve hitch implements.

So far I have skidded some 8 or 10" diameter by 6' long trees. Pulled a small trailer loaded down with tree branches, cut 30 hours worth of grass, and hauled around some wagon loads of rocks and dirt. I have not experienced a single issue. This thing takes whatever I want to throw at it with no problems. Always feels ready for more! I can cut for 4 or so hours and the transaxle is slightly warm.

I have since bought a Johnny Products electric sleeve hitch, and a John Deere plow. I have not used either yet. I need to install the sleeve hitch, and do some work to my box blade, rear blade, and other items I have for the sleeve hitch. One day.

I will keep this thread updated as I put more hours and time on it, as a long term review.

Attachments

• 20180517_164444_resized.jpg
    20180517_164444_resized.jpg
    400.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 20180517_164457_resized.jpg
    20180517_164457_resized.jpg
    276.8 KB · Views: 57
  • 20180517_164651_resized.jpg
    20180517_164651_resized.jpg
    205.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 20180519_185709_resized.jpg
    20180519_185709_resized.jpg
    313.6 KB · Views: 51
  • 20180524_130610_resized.jpg
    20180524_130610_resized.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Nice tractor. Not sure why Cub dealer said XT3 is not good for ground engaging, that is what it was built for and is advertised for. It has a cast iron Hydro-Gear BDU-10 rear end. Weird.

Nice tractor. Not sure why Cub dealer said XT3 is not good for ground engaging, that is what it was built for and is advertised for. It has a cast iron Hydro-Gear BDU-10 rear end. Weird.

I did just see that cub lists an oem sleeve hitch for the xt3. They did not a few months ago! Maybe they are going to start supporting it as a garden tractor. I maybe that is why he said cub didnt recommend it for ground engaging.

Out of curiosity, how did the Simplicity stack up to the Deere and CC? I've heard lots of good thing about the bigger X series Deeres. Even had one guy show up at Daniels plowday with a Diesel X series and it really pulled a 12" plow like it wasn't there.

Spec wise the simplicity is great. Follows John Deere's line up pretty close in specs. I really liked the simplicity tractor. The simplicity conquest is very close to the X500 series John Deere. They offer pretty much the same specs. I was very interested in the suspension. Took one on a test drive at the dealer and it felt very smooth! The warranty wasn't nearly as good. 3 years vs 5 years. Also I am not a big fan of Briggs and Stratton engines. I never have been, going back to when I was into minibikes and go karts super heavy. That's a personal preference, not based on facts.

The warranty, the briggs engine and the fact that the closet dealer I had was near 2 hours away. The john deere dealer is less than 10 minutes from my house. Cub dealer was closer 20 minutes.

I personally don't feel the Cub stacks up good against any of them. Electric lift, electric power steering, ect. MTD needs to seriously step up their game this generation of machines. This makes me sad as my favorite tractor brand is the cub cadet name! I would of loved to of parked a new cub cadet next to the old cubs in the garage.

The X700 series diesel tractors are a beast. They are tough! My dad's neighbor has an X485(which is the same as the X700 today) and that thing is a monster. It is a tough tractor, front and rear PTO, 3 point, ect ect. If I had need of an even bigger tractor I would of went with one.

Season is almost over. 60 hours on the clock. Not a single hiccup, snag, or hint of a problem mechanically. Only trouble I had was the display fogged over. Dealer put a new one in without question. He claimed the new one is sealed better. We will see.

I pulled the deck off today and cleaned it out really well. Got the tractor up on ramps and used the air compressor to blow stuck grass out of the underside. Checked the oil. Still clean and right on level.

I changed the transaxle fluid at 50 hours and filled it with john deere fluid.

Everything looks like brand new still. I figure I'll have a few more hours to use it this fall. Grass is still growing like crazy. It is going to get a good soaking, scrub down and wax before winter.

Over all I am still in love with this machine! John deere has a good product with the x5xxx line of tractors.

I had this thread going on the John Deere section at "the other site". I wanted to move it over here and share my experiences with a new tractor that is capable of being what I consider a modern garden tractor. Plus my thread might help out fellow tractor enthusiast as well if they plan on purchasing something new and I know a lot of people don't have much faith in new products. I want to share how this tractor holds up to my use. I hope to update this every so often with a little report of what I have experienced.

I started my journey last fall. I started searching out all the different tractors that I felt were heavy enough for my intended use without experiencing a failure due to over working it. I took to the forums for suggestions. All kinds of ideas came in ranging from don't buy new junk, to check these out. I traveled all over visiting different dealers. Simplicity, John Deere, Cub Cadet, ect ect. Everyone offered a nice tractor, except to me the Cub Cadet X3 series is called a garden tractor but speaking with cub they do not suggest this tractor to be used for ground engaging implements.

After searching long and hard, reading specs. I ended up buying a John Deere X350. I settled quite a bit. I decided I didn't want to spend nearly 7 grand, and went for a lawn tractor. Quickly found out before the 1 month "John Deere Promise" was up that this tractor was not what I wanted, and it was undersized for maintaining nearly 4 acres of lawn between myself and my dad. My key deciding factors for this wasn't exactly the tractor size, deck size, engine size, performance of the unit, but mainly the non-serviceable transaxle in the X350. One afternoon I spent nearly 4 hours on the X350 and when I got off I decided to see how hot the transaxle was. I was astonished to find that I could not keep my hand on the transaxle for more than a few seconds before it became too hot to touch. I thought to myself that this non-serviceable unit was not going to make the cut! Saying that, the X350 is a FANTASTIC lawn mower. It had the best cut I have ever seen. It would be fantastic if you have a smaller yard to maintain such as 1 or 2 acres.

I went back to the dealership and turned my X350 in on the JD promise, and got a X570. Bigger engine, Bigger Deck, Bigger body, and the fully serviceable transaxle(with larger axles, and a much higher torque rating). After cringing a little handing over another 3000 dollars for this new machine I scheduled delivery.

A few days later my new tractor was delivered. Initial impressions were that this tractor is several times the machine that the X350 was. The K72 delivers much more punch. Especially on the small bank in my yard new to my house that I mow up and down. You can creep up the start of it, floor the tram pedal and the tractor will shoot up over it like a scaled dog. The 48" Deck offers a nice cut. It doesn't scalp or drag, it however I do feel the 42" deck offered a slightly better cut. It is super comfortable. Easy to steer. The twin touch hydrostat pedals are very comfortable and smooth. The foot operated deck lift is fantastic. The ground speed feels quite quick. I have done some tests cutting straight lines as fast as it will go, and at a more reasonable speed. The difference isn't much. You can quickly bang out some grass if you have a smooth area to cut. The Kawasaki engine is fantastic. It is smooth, quiet, easy to start, and just plain seems to have plenty of power for the application. The one option that I thought was a waste was the differential lock. I never had a tractor with one before, and after owning one with it, I don't think I want to not have one. It is a very useful feature that I imagine will be even more useful when using the plow or sleeve hitch implements.

So far I have skidded some 8 or 10" diameter by 6' long trees. Pulled a small trailer loaded down with tree branches, cut 30 hours worth of grass, and hauled around some wagon loads of rocks and dirt. I have not experienced a single issue. This thing takes whatever I want to throw at it with no problems. Always feels ready for more! I can cut for 4 or so hours and the transaxle is slightly warm.

I have since bought a Johnny Products electric sleeve hitch, and a John Deere plow. I have not used either yet. I need to install the sleeve hitch, and do some work to my box blade, rear blade, and other items I have for the sleeve hitch. One day.

I will keep this thread updated as I put more hours and time on it, as a long term review.

This is a good review, thank you. I used the John Deere x500 series as a standard to build mine.

The diff lock is invaluable once you start pushing dirt. I have the Johnny Bucket jr with teeth, and the uni sleeve that I want to upgrade. I like the products.

I'm considering a box blade right now for leveling ground but don't have any experience with them. My immediate use is for after I rent an excavator to dig up stumps and palmetto I have a bunch of little sand dunes and holes, the bucket will fill the holes well but I would like a better way to smooth out the last bits. Whats your thoughts with the box blade your using?

Season is almost over. 60 hours on the clock. Not a single hiccup, snag, or hint of a problem mechanically. Only trouble I had was the display fogged over. Dealer put a new one in without question. He claimed the new one is sealed better. We will see.

I pulled the deck off today and cleaned it out really well. Got the tractor up on ramps and used the air compressor to blow stuck grass out of the underside. Checked the oil. Still clean and right on level.

I changed the transaxle fluid at 50 hours and filled it with john deere fluid.

Everything looks like brand new still. I figure I'll have a few more hours to use it this fall. Grass is still growing like crazy. It is going to get a good soaking, scrub down and wax before winter.

Over all I am still in love with this machine! John deere has a good product with the x5xxx line of tractors.

Wow, that's customer service and keeping their word (warranty), It's become a small mission of mine to point out how valuable that is.

I am curious. Has anyone used a 44" snowblower on and x570 series yet? We don't get much snow, 4-12 inches once or twice a year, but want to ensure I will not have an issue. Thanks!

I am curious. Has anyone used a 44" snowblower on and x570 series yet? We don't get much snow, 4-12 inches once or twice a year, but want to ensure I will not have an issue. Thanks!

I dont know of anyone. For all the snow we get a shovel is more than adequate. I think it would handle the blower no problem. Plenty of power and strength there. The frame looks tough too.

This is a good review, thank you. I used the John Deere x500 series as a standard to build mine.

The diff lock is invaluable once you start pushing dirt. I have the Johnny Bucket jr with teeth, and the uni sleeve that I want to upgrade. I like the products.

I'm considering a box blade right now for leveling ground but don't have any experience with them. My immediate use is for after I rent an excavator to dig up stumps and palmetto I have a bunch of little sand dunes and holes, the bucket will fill the holes well but I would like a better way to smooth out the last bits. Whats your thoughts with the box blade your using?

I thought the diff lock was dumb until I used it. I use it all the time! Just cutting grass. I never realized how much i got stuck and had to rock the tractor. Although I found you need to verify why you are stuck. I got high centered on a root. Hit the diff lock and it shot forward but it banged the deck pretty hard.

Second season using the X570. Still very happy. Hour meter just ticked over 70 hours. This year was the first time I was able to bog it down in grass. Grass was damp and I blew it all into the center so I could let it draw and run the pull behind rake over it. That last pass I had to creep or she would bog down hard.

Used this Non-Stick deck spray since I'm having a bad time with build up of grass this year. I didn't seem to last year, but my grass is constantly damp and clumping.

Also a side note, the front bumper/grill guard is a worthy investment. Dad managed to hit the forward pedal instead of reverse and wacked the side of the garage. Scraped a little paint off the grill guard, but no damage! I told him good thing because that hood is 700 bucks!

3rd season started with this tractor. 110 on the hour meter. 0 issues. I love it more everytime I use it.

Dad did his first cutting with the x590 he bought last year with the money we made from selling off some of the cub collection. I drove it around some. The power steering is amazing! Hydraulic lift is neat as well. Has an hour on the meter now.

I still highly recommend this line of tractors. After all the research I did and looking john Deere x500 series is an amazing machine. I know a lot of people dont like the newer equipment but I'm about willing to bet anything that many years later this tractor will still be going like many of our old machines.

So Aaron. Just for fun, can you do a comparison of your tractor and my 1970 John Deere 140 H3. What the cost was new and what attachment were available for each. As I said, just for fun. If you want.

Mine is 50 years old now. I’m the third owner.
The 140 is 770 lbs with out any attachments.

Noel

Attachments

• 18151288-7DD9-4725-83C1-011076E44686.jpeg
    18151288-7DD9-4725-83C1-011076E44686.jpeg
    141.6 KB · Views: 12
So Aaron. Just for fun, can you do a comparison of your tractor and my 1970 John Deere 140 H3. What the cost was new and what attachment were available for each. As I said, just for fun. If you want.

Mine is 50 years old now. I’m the third owner.
The 140 is 770 lbs with out any attachments.

Noel

I'm not sure how much 140 was in 1970. I bet it wasnt cheap. If it was 800 to a 1000 dollars cost new for new with inflation factored in would be about the same price today as a x500 series. I've heard the cub line was in the 800 to 1500 range in the 1970s. A lot of coin back then.

X570 weights 606 pounds without any extra weight.

I have an electric lift sleeve hitch for mine. Any standard sleeve hitch attachment fits. Dads x590 is hydraulic and has ports to attach hydraulic driven attachments.

I havent used any attachments on the sleeve hitch though. I have plow that I was planning on using in my garden.

You can buy snow blowers and the like as well.

The 140h3 is one of my bucket list tractors! I've always been a fan of that model....

I hope this tractor lasts 50 years. We will see! It sees about 30 hours of use a season. So 50 times 30. 1500 hours. I can see it doing that. Actually it will see less this year as dad wont use it anymore since he was his own. We both cut near 2 acres.

If it does it will be the last one I'll even have to buy. In 50 years I'll be 86 and well probably not worried about cutting my grass anymore!

Last edited:
Ya Aaron, the x590 with the power steering would be nice. And the hydraulics. I know I’d love to have a power steering tractor, my arm strong steering ain’t what it use to be.

Noel

Thank you for posting all your experience on the X570.
My ideal choice would have been an X590, however there are financial limitations.. For a while I was set on the X380 and put in an order, however I was not 100% happy with that choice, hilly 2 acre lot plus 3 acres of HOA septic fields.

This morning I asked the JD dealer to upgrade the order to X570, which he did, I just need to stop by to pay for the upgrade. The order includes the snow blower , weights and chains. I have a 700 foot driveway .

Currently I am on my second Craftsman product, it is a good thing I can fix these.. the repairs are ongoing.. 4 weeks ago a PTO clutch, last weekend a new carburetor, third one for this mower - this time a non-OEM. I am tired of ongoing repairs. I have a snow blower and use it a lot, AgriFab blower, it worked well enough, however it has a bunch of design issues. The snow blower is now 20 years old, some of the design problems might have been solved, however at a quick glance the new ones - they still looks the same. I expect the JD blower be more durable and work just as good if not better.

I am hoping for a good experience with the JD tractor just like you are describing, my dad also was happy with his JD tractor, the tractor is over 35 years old and still running well, it outlived him.

Ivan :)

Last edited:
I just cut with mine about 20 minutes ago.

You will be very happy. The tractor has gobs of torque for powering up banks and hills. Tons better than the x300 series!

Dad loves his x590. The only thing I like is the power steering. The fuel injection is neat but we will see how it goes long term.

The extra options isn't worth the big step in price! Let me know how you like your x570!

I have a front plow but we rarely get enough snow to use it. I have suit case weights and brackets.

Hi,
I got 6.4 hours on the new X570 with the 54 inch deck. The X570 was definitely the right choice for me.
Too early for an extensive opinion, however the following is a quick comparison to my old Craftsman DYT4000, may not be a fair compare, the X570 is a more expensive tractor and therefore more is expected:
1/ wider cut,
2/ much better/cleaner cut, even compared to using Gator blades on the Craftsman
3/ The engine runs with no effort or sign of struggle, the old B&S is loud and definitely is working harder when in high grass, both engines are 24hp this is the only place where specifications are the same for the 2 machines.
4/ The B&S engine required all kinds of repairs due to Friday afternoon assembly issues, which luckily I was able to do [head bolts not tight enough causing oil being blown out in all directions through gaskets and pcv, and a fold in oil pan gasket adding to the oil leaks] , I expect to do only the regular maintenance for the Kawasaki engine, same as my dad had on his JD tractor.
4/ Everything is significantly heavier duty on the JD vs Craftsman.
5/ The dealer set everything up properly before delivery, even the snow blower, there is nothing for me to do, just go out and mow the grass.
6/ Bigger and wider tires, give a much smoother and more controlled ride.

That is all I can think of as of now.

Again, a big thanks to Toomanytoys84s review, which helped me make my final decision, as I was 80% for a X380 and 20% for X570, the 380 with the 54 inch deck was likely to serve me well, however the 570 being more heavy duty all around and having the axle lock for my hilly lot is a better choice. I think I spent the $1200 government incentive for the upgrade well. :)

Last edited:
Glad you are happy and someone found this "review" helpful.

Wait till you try out the diff lock. Darn thing is about impossible to get stuck!

I've done 2 oil changes and 1 transaxle change (100 hours). Once each season.

Cuts like a golf course and grass has to be super wet before it'll bog and that's only when I blow all the clippings in.

I also have the mulch kit that I've yet to try.

Back