Johnson Johnson and more Johnson

Daniel84

I just tilled a field that I was intending in establishing Fescue and Orchard grass mix. It has rained all summer up until I sowed the seeds. These last few weeks it has been extremely dry. Johnson grass has sprouted and is all over the field about 8inches tall. What should I do besides pray for rain? Will my seeds still establish?

I already had some Johnson in the field prior to tillage. However, i didnt think it would come up so quick. But then again i thought it would rain after i planted which it hasnt. Planted on sept 1. I know i cant spray it now since fescue seeds are still in ground. But im just wondering if they will even come up given the johnson is a lot thicker now. Prior it was just in patches. Seed came from co op.

We have plenty of it down here! Hard to kill out too!

I don't think anything you use to kill it will effect the seeds just laying in the ground. Stuff is somewhat resistant to Round-Up so doubt that would work. Your Co-op agronimist could probably help you out here since you got the seed from them.

johnson grass to us = paddock grass for cattle grazing ect also called roads grass or clump grass here , it's the grass i removed from my garden patch that i mulched to reuse , its a problem too after working the gardens up as seed just seems to sprout up everywhere all the time

Shane

Back