Kindling Splitter Build

Sawdust

Jim from Kentucky
Staff member
I thought I would wing one of these. I cut a lot of kindling using my wood scraps from projects. I watched a few of these on YouTube and gathered a few ideas.

I’m using some things I already have. The top ring I cut from a section of an old refrigerant tank. The four posts are some 1/4” flat stock and of coarse the bottom from an old brake rotor.
DB3A5AB3-DFC8-4393-9E52-44C46E812A7C.jpeg132D2FDF-4432-4A6D-B427-5AD2D1ADA320.jpegB76F5826-413B-4CC9-9F46-79A2A2DB32A0.jpeg

The blade is also a piece of 1/4” flat stock. I trimmed one side of some 3/4” angle iron so it creates a wedge at the bottom of the blade. I’m hoping to get the blade welded up tomorrow and attached to the frame.
A94D904A-E36D-4154-BC01-9ED810FC164B.jpegAD03F327-ADDA-429C-8407-22A564C01FDF.jpeg42E8C588-1AB1-4B9D-B2D0-1E6253471667.jpeg

Those sure are handy. I bought a Kindling Cracker brand from Northern Tool for my dad 3 years ago and been thinking of making a secod one that will take bigger pieces. The thing works great. One thing I might suggest if you haven't welded the pieces of angle on for the wedge yet would be to make them so it's a bit wider. The one I have the wedge is probable 4-5 inches wide at the bottom. Only takes a couple hits with the hammer end of the maul and the piece of wood is split in 2

I like it. Looks like a simple and effective tool. Now I have to decide if I would use it enough to justify the build and storage of one. I have plenty of material around but split very little kindling any more. My wife used a lot of kindling to build a fire but me not so much. I now do all the cooking and fire building here so the splinters left after splitting fire wood and maybe some bark are usually all i need. Also after frying some thing in a skillet I generally wipe the skillet out with a paper towel which I save in a zip-lock bag. This minimizes the grease in the drains and provides one of the best fire starters I have ever used.
Don

I like it. Looks like a simple and effective tool. Now I have to decide if I would use it enough to justify the build and storage of one. I have plenty of material around but split very little kindling any more. My wife used a lot of kindling to build a fire but me not so much. I now do all the cooking and fire building here so the splinters left after splitting fire wood and maybe some bark are usually all i need. Also after frying some thing in a skillet I generally wipe the skillet out with a paper towel which I save in a zip-lock bag. This minimizes the grease in the drains and provides one of the best fire starters I have ever used.
Don
My wife loves her cast iron cookware she keeps them seasoned too. I use to keep them rags but need to start again.

Back