Knowledgeable about 3 point hitches? Need input please...

MiCarl

Tractorologist
I've been keeping my eye out for an International 184 with 3 point hitch. For those unfamiliar it's the final version of the Cub Lo-Boy, from which they dropped the Cub name. They're somewhat rare.

One has hit the market near me at what appears to be a reasonable price. Here's the issue:

The lifting links on the hitch had removable pins that would allow the left and right lifting arms to float separately. The manual says the purpose of pulling the pins is for implements that need to follow the contour of the ground, like a disc, and to see implement manuals for whether to pull the pin.

The 184 I'm considering apparently has had the lift links replaced and the replacements don't appear to allow independent float. I'm wondering if that could be an issue. I'm not aware of other 3 point hitches that allow that independent float.

Any thoughts?

Your implement is probably not going to be hitched that secure to the draw bar to need a independent floating. Most disc, harrows, etc. are attached to stationary draw bars. If you had wide disc, like a 8 or 10' and had very uneven ground and the 3 point is good and tight yet, it could be an issue. I certainly would not pass up buying a tractor I wanted for that item alone.

Ahh. I had a look at a picture of the 3 point. I see how it works. Neat idea. I'm wondering if the up/down lever for the 3 point has sort of a neutral position that the 3 point would move some. The 6' rear finish mower I have has the float built into the mower, for movement over the grass. each point has some float. The mower is hooked to a 51 Ferguson tractor.

Noel

Attachments

• 1E3AD0ED-AAC7-4884-9CBF-3D0332264B6F.png
    1E3AD0ED-AAC7-4884-9CBF-3D0332264B6F.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 5
  • 22039E0F-BA7A-4E0A-8AC0-5B3BCAD526E8.png
    22039E0F-BA7A-4E0A-8AC0-5B3BCAD526E8.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 5
  • B79A6BF9-87A7-4C9A-9BAD-3D84D5523AD5.png
    B79A6BF9-87A7-4C9A-9BAD-3D84D5523AD5.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 5
Hydraulic 3 point hitches typically have a float position on the valve that allows vertical float. It's the 2 sides floating independently that's what's in question on the 184.

I would expect a finish mower to have float built in, it definitely needs to follow the contour of the ground.

I sent an email to the ad for the 184. Haven't heard from him yet.

Most 3 points I am familiar with (Ford & Kubota) have a bit of float built in for things like a 3 point hitch disk field cultavator and roto tillers.

Now My Bota even with the Quick Hitch has a bit of indent-pendent movement, not a lot but some. I am only familiar with the IH 2 point quick hitch on a IH 350 and a 400.

:D Al

Back