Kohler cam wear

esbbent

Tractorologist
Due to compression leak, found with leak down tester, I decided to take the engine apart and do a rebuild. This is a k241 out of my Minneapolis Moline 110. The cam has a lot of wear in the area the points rod runsIMG_20230901_102952979.jpgand also on the compression release tabIMG_20230901_103012058_HDR.jpg. I have a used cam to replace it with, but has anyone else come across wear like this? This is a early engine, it has a metal governor gear vs plastic.The piston and cylinder had normal wear.

It wasn't a Kohler cam but I have sent a slant 6 cam in to be reground, into a good "RV cam" not long ago.
The cam core I sent in, had a worn down fuel pump eccentric. And the company i used was able to weld it up and regrind it along with the other lobes.
The company I used, is very much still in business, I don't know if they would do a Kohler cam.
I think it was Kirk, the same guy that came up with the "points saver" built a 12hp "killer Kohler" and similarly had his cam reground.
I know that is common practice in the "puller" world. Member Travis who used to be on here did a similar build on a Deere (I think) 312.
I know that Midwest super cub can do regrinds, but finding a good used one to drop in there would also work. There may be other places to do this kind of thing

An update; I did find a good used cam to put in the engine. I am waiting on the new piston to arrive, I also have to get another main bearing. I thought I had 2 main bearings on my shelf but all I could find was one single bearing and a set of seals.

An update; I did find a good used cam to put in the engine. I am waiting on the new piston to arrive, I also have to get another main bearing. I thought I had 2 main bearings on my shelf but all I could find was one single bearing and a set of seals.
I guess just make sure that points rod floats freely, Ted! Can't imagine how that could have gouged that old crank so badly!

DAC

Back