Kohler K341 blowing oil from Valve Cover

IamSherwood

This unit has been sitting for about 3 years, but if I recall correctly, it was doing it
before it was abandoned.

What is the
most likely issue? : Stuck valve?
Worn Valve guides?
Oil too thin?
Global warming?
Justin Trudeau?
Valve seats?
Valve stem area drain holes plugged?

I guess I should pull the cover?

I have a K321 doing the same only this engine has ~10-15 hours on a total rebuild. runs great, starts easy, carries a 50" deck like it isn't even there thru some thick yard under a Cub 1200.....

Gotta go with True-dope too.....He's "F'd" up pretty much everything else.
I would pull the cover and see if the mesh filter in there is in good shape. You can then also see how much oil is leaked back there. If it hasnt run in a long time, running it might make it better

Kohler blowing oil out the breather? Cylinder is probably worn egg shaped and the rings are toast.

Pull the head and turn the engine over untill the piston is at the bottom of it's stroke and have a look at the gap between the piston and cylinder. If you can clearly see the piston rings then the block needs bored and oversized piston and rings installed.

I've had some that had a more than 1/4" gap between the piston and cylinder. You can throw new rings in it and it will clear up and run good for a year or 2.

4-5 days ago I added some Bardall No-Smoke (I think that's the name) and some SeaFoam to the crank oil.
After about 45 minutes of running, the oil spraying out of the breather tube stopped. So, perhaps it
was just stuck ring. I've got about another 45 minutes on since then, and no more spray.

If it starts spraying again, I'll pull the head and take a look.
Thanks for the responses.

Since mine has so few hours on a fresh rebuild (bored accordingly) I'm thinking (hoping) the problem within the one I have here is in the breather....
Well since the guy who hounded me to death and convinced me to sell it to him blew out the new clutch disc already, I have it in my garage at the moment, waiting for the brown truck to bring me the upgraded clutch spring, new throw out bearing and such I have the engine back out I decided to look into the oil problem. I checked the oil on the stick and it was low, so I guessed at how much to add, I put in a quart and 1/2. Turns out that I overfilled it by that extra 1/2 a quart, this was when I pulled the breather back off for a look a couple of days ago.i never cranked it up since I added the oil. I had put a piece of plywood under it to see if it would leak and it did. So it ain't the breather. Even though it had oil and collected dirt all the way up to the bottom of the breather on that side. Turns out that the sump gasket is bad, it was down between full and add today. Remember that i never ran it since I over filled it. The leaked oil missed the board and dripped right alongside of it all over the floor. Probably a quart under the Left front tire and a couple feet away on that side, floor was bone dry when I put the oil in, NO I didn't spill any the other day.
I remember now that the pan gasket that I used on that rebuild was new but really old and hard. I went to my stash and found another just like it. So I went to my other stash and found one that actually felt like gasket paper is supposed to

ok... motor is out of tractor hanging from 1 arm of my 2 post car lift, by a chain.... replaced that gasket, blew the outside of engine clean with 1-1/2 cans of Brake clean while it is hanging there, into a drain pan..... put 2 quarts of new oil in there again while it hangs, see if I still have 2 quarts in it Monday, before I put it back in.

Weird. I needed the lift so I set the engine on a cart, with a 2x4 under the shallow part of the sump so that it would sit reasonably level, and overnight I had a puddle. I don't understand this but when it was hanging it didn't leak a drop. Set it down and it leaked. I redid that gasket and filled it up with straight 30 and it leaked again. Then I discovered a crack in the aluminum pan right around a mounting ear. I wound up putting a cast iron one on there that I had gotten for something else, the cast iron narrow base pan is TOUGH to find, the aluminum ones are all over the place. And it's back together and running again within the tractor. No more leak, I've used it for leaf harvest pulling a sweeper. Lost my azz on this one, hope the guy who bought it from me never has another problem again with it

Back