Kohler parts

dodge trucker

Tractorologist
Is the guy from Ohio in ebay still the best game in town on cast iron kohler parts? It's been a while since this has been brought up.

I have a k 301 from my cub 129 in the machine shop, got a call today with my needed sizes. 20 over piston 10 under rod.
I actually found a heckuva deal on an nos piston/rings, $50 shipped ... Cheaper than most aftermarket ones I found, but no such luck at the moment on the rod ..I got a rod coming from the guy in Ohio, "I don't want China!!!!!"
still need gaskets.
Put a note about that in with paying for the rod. See what he comes back with.
I didn't need valves as mine will clean up fine .. very little touch up on the valve grinder .. (I had 2 of these engines to build one good one from, took the best of all parts from between the two.) And I am suspicious of no name aftermarket points/ condenser and actually the ones from the engine at the machine shop were not that old. All stuff the Ohio guy usually "throws in".

I quit messing with the points and condenser several years a go. Switched everything over to the Atom #205 green ignition module for the singles. Haven't been able to find the #209 for the 2 cylinder motors for some time now. Cheaper to switch over than buying the points, etc. Have never had on go bad yet.

Haven't seen those atom modules in forever. I heard somewhere they're discontinued
With a set of OEM points and condenser I usually don't have to mess with them for years in between.
Now to get me a clutch rebuild kit coming for that 129..... I don't mind the mechanical clutch in those

I need a gasket kit for a K301 too and have been considering the aftermarket kits. The problem is which ones are good because of so many. I ordered a B&S points and condenser for another engine and the condenser went bad 2 months later. It was still made in China. I’m not sure anymore if there is a difference.

Haven't seen those atom modules in forever. I heard somewhere they're discontinued
With a set of OEM points and condenser I usually don't have to mess with them for years in between.
Now to get me a clutch rebuild kit coming for that 129..... I don't mind the mechanical clutch in those
I haven't bought any of the atom modules in a few year so they could be discontinued. Last I got was from O'Riely Auto Parts.

Well my 10 under rod came today, from the guy in Ohio. It's (not looking at it right now) the "thorn bird" brand stamped in it....
Doesn't have the telltale hole in it the oem Kohler rods do for 10 under but it's stamped as such on the side.
So is the $15 ebay gasket set the same gasket set others are selling for double/triple as much????
I see a couple of nos/OEM Kohler ones listed, ones $91 and ones like $50 but I think that ones incomplete. (I know the $15-30 ones aren't oem, duh) but gaskets are just a paper product, the ones that bother me the most are maybe the cheap crank seals that come with the cheapies

Well my 10 under rod came today, from the guy in Ohio. It's (not looking at it right now) the "thorn bird" brand stamped in it....
Doesn't have the telltale hole in it the oem Kohler rods do for 10 under but it's stamped as such on the side.
So is the $15 ebay gasket set the same gasket set others are selling for double/triple as much????
I see a couple of nos/OEM Kohler ones listed, ones $91 and ones like $50 but I think that ones incomplete. (I know the $15-30 ones aren't oem, duh) but gaskets are just a paper product, the ones that bother me the most are maybe the cheap crank seals that come with the cheapies
DT a guy told me some of the aftermarket head gaskets don’t have the metal compression ring. It’s funny I had my finger on the aftermarket set last night for $40. and changed my mind. I’m like you the crank seals worry me. Also I noticed some are Stens products that use to be a good aftermarket product, not sure now.

What to do.... I found out the goof that I bought the piston from just shipped today. ($50 shipped for an nos/OEM genuine Kohler piston that certainly didn't come from china for $50, I had to jump on) I had my rod from the Ohio guy yesterday. Put both in my cart together and bought as 1 ebay transaction. The machine shop is on hold, be needs the piston more than he needs the rod....
I've always used oem Kohler gaskets and seals but im not paying more for a gasket set than I did for the piston and rod.
On one hand "gaskets are just paper"..... On the other things like that fire ring on the head gasket is important.
I wish fel pro, mahle, victor reinz made gaskets for small engines just like they do for cars and trucks.

The last time I ordered points and condenser for a Briggs it was for my 8hp cast iron one on my air compressor. I had replaced them once with what I thought were OEM but yeah they were new fangled Chinese OEM and the condenser didn't last.
I found some on eBay for it in a yellowed original box, I feel better about this set.

Back