Land preparation implements for ~300 acres

psycl

Good day,

New farmer here, from Europe, bought 300 acres in Africa like any normal person and I need to work on it. Crops will be mainly maize and soybeans plus forage crops like alfalfa, sorghum, rye, etc and some vegetables.
The tractor/implements market here is completely different so I have in mind 2 options for an 4WD 120 HP tractor:
First option:
6 disc plow, working width 1,5m/59 inch, working depth 250mm/ ~10 inch plus an heavy duty hydraulic offset disc harrow, 3.4m/134 inch working width, 180-200 /7-8 in working depth, 34 disc, 1550 kg/ 3417 lbs
This would take 2 trips, plowing plus harrowing

Second option:
Driving 9 disc plow, working width 1980 mm/78 in , working depth 200-240mm/ 7.9-9.5 in and drag a smaller disc harrow after it
working width 79 inch, 18 discs, working depth 140mm/5.5 inch, 440kg/970 lb
Second option would be one trip only with 2m / 79 in width. The drive disc plough would leave the soil smoother than the standard disc plough which would be further smashed by the attached small disc harrow.

Second option would actually cost me around the same as the first option but the thing is I never heard of pto driven disc plough

There will also be a 20 hp walking tractor with 2 disc plough, with ridger and mulching film application implement and rotary tiller, mostly for vegetables and greenhouses.

I was also asking myself if the heavy duty harrow would be enough as primary tillage for maize, soybean..

I would appreciate any opinions.
Thank you

Back