larger garden this yr

holdenboy1960 (Shane )

Tractorologist
had been working this patch up in between and now finished doing that got 3 short rows of corn in now transplants 2 rows on the right end and 1 row on the other end

1538996600558.jpg 1538996601260.jpg 1538996600936.jpg they are between 3 to 5 " tall now and doing well .
i have since transplanted 4 pumpkins and 4 watermelons shampaine vines in the garden too , pumpkins are jap/kent breed a nice sweeter and softer sort to cut and peel

i have also planted 3 citrus trees too on the top side to help stop water wash ,erosion, in heavy downpours of rain , 1 is a lemonade , 1 a lime and a purple grapefruit , sweeter than the yellow original type , the Cousin gave me the trees as he has no room the plant them himself IMG_20181008_143444.jpg
IMG_20181008_143510.jpg watering with bore water which is a mineral water here but tested safe drinkable

Shane

i am about 1 hr drive from the coast but never go there though , the beach aint my thing

the bigger garden is just for pumpkins and watermelons and 72 corn plants ,planted at each end of it , the vegies and fruits are always late to bare where i am out here , like right at the end of summer into Autumn

Shane

Very cool. I did some work quite a few years back in Brisbane, Townsville and some city I forget inland from Brizzy that had a large Mars pet-food plant. Beautiful country but not at all happy with the spiders you have down there. You can keep them.

Pumpkins and watermelons is a good idea need lots of space. Do you grow the seedless watermelons? I've never had much luck with them, either the fruiting plant or the pollinator would be bad, never had both plants do well. All the pumpkins for cooking/eating?

Heaps of room for them all to grow. My first yr of water melons this year. Polenating can be a bit off here sometimes. Spiders are not to much to worry about. Snakes are my concern lol but you people over there got big animal's that eat you in 20 minutes

Nah...they only eat part of you in 20 minutes. But they do bury you for a few hours and give it another go later, that's the critical part as you may not survive that small detail.

On the melons, we did really good this year with a small "icebox" variety called Mini Love. Nice and red and juicy, but lots of seeds.

We planted Big Moon pumpkins this year for Jack-O-Lanterns. Left the two largest plants in the hill. Once the pumpkins staarted forming picked the two, one each vine we wanted and cut off the rest. Kept the blooms picked off and vines cut back to within 8' of the pumpkin. Left them in the garden a little to long and with the rain they got soft on the bottom. Next year will put them up on wood mini pallets to keep them off the ground. Got tow nice one though. One about 75 lbs and the other close to 65 lbs. The big one I had to roll into the yard cart and haul it that way. Onld man with bad back could not lift it straight up.

2 yr ago when i last grew pumpkins i made the mistake of leaving 3 on the vine too long also and they went soft and off inside , that was a quick lesson to me , the do's and don't

Shane

i dont weed to much otherwise the grasshoppers get to carried away this way they dont worry the vines so much as the same with my tomatoes too, Thank you for the tip with the lids ect under the melons though , 1st time growing melons

Bigger garden always seems like a good idea until midseason. Then it is work:confused:

2 good points to this garden for me only growing vines and 3 rows of regular corn on the ends so it will be low maintenance , the 2nd thing is the Cousin is in it with me , or supposed to be , we'll see haha , nah he's good

update
a couple pix of the corn and watermelons and pumpkins and the lemonade tree thats set fruit on and the new garden patch section opened up
IMG_20181107_175709.jpg IMG_20181107_175806.jpg <the row of corn at the other end is only 1/2 size as it was planted later a bit hard to see > IMG_20181107_175833.jpg IMG_20181107_175648.jpg all up 72 corn and 5 shampaine melons and 3 jap pumpkins doing well

IMG_20181107_175737.jpg and the small lemonade tree ,there is a lime tree and a grapefruit trees as well just setting fruit on at the moment too
The nest section of garden in progressIMG_20181107_175614.jpg

Shane

Back