lawn boy deck material?

dodge trucker

Tractorologist
I recently got another walk behind Lawn boy, this one just a pusher/ no self propelled. Really light. easy to push. will probably just be a "ditch mower" mostly, but I have mowed my whole yard with it the last 3 mowings, today being the 3rd. While mowing today, I noticed a crack in the deck between the chute and the plug for the bag chute. Right along the cast in "CAUTION" warning.
Lawn boy model number 7229, best I can find it's a 1982-83-ish machine. runs great, $20 garage sale find. only had to add gas and go.

what material are these decks made of? If aluminum I know a guy that can TIG it for me, a retired welding instructor. if it is magnesium, I don't know that it can be fixed by welding.

Two ways to check.

Find a bare spot on the deck and pour vinegar on it. If it bubbles like hydrogen peroxide on a cut, it's magnesium. If it doesn't, then it's aluminum.

Remember the fire starters you scrape with a knife? You can scrape some shavings off of it and light them with a match. If they burn, it's magnesium.

Magnesium can be welded. You need someone that knows what they are doing, but it can be welded.

I have a lawnboy too that I used all summer to cut the grass. The deck needs some repairs also. Great old lawn mowers. Mines self propelled. Or should I say assist propelled. Not a direct drive. Had mine since 1987. Bought it used.

Noel

It is probably magnesium. I use a 1980 model 5247 as my main push mower for trimming. Deck is magnesium.

Looks like the 5247 and 7229 are almost identical.

I've seen a dumpster fire that had several materials in it, some being magnesium. Once the magnesium took hold, there was no putting it out. They had stand by and wait for it to burn itself out that stuff burns HOT

For a machine that I paid $20 for, probably not worth it.

Back