Lawn sprayer build.

dogsoldier

Tractorologist
Finally was able to get to the garage to start my sprayer build.
Since my knee surgery i can only do so much till i have to come inside and rest.
Here is what I have so far. I ran out of clamps , so when I go to the Dr's tomorrow I'll will get more.

The first pic is the pump I'm using. It's out of a old motor home
The second pic is a front view
The 3rd pic is a back view.
I still need to find some wheels for it but till then I'll mount it on my junk yard cart

Attachments

• IMG_20190924_134420.jpg
    IMG_20190924_134420.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20190924_134403.jpg
    IMG_20190924_134403.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_20190924_134344.jpg
    IMG_20190924_134344.jpg
    127.9 KB · Views: 21
Last edited by a moderator:
I got one of these on the burner. I see the tanks on market place pretty reasonable with a bad pump.

I got the tanks from work. They are 5 gallons a piece and i have 6 of them Got them for free. Also got the pump for free.

That pump should be an "on demand" pump and will work OK though not a lot of pressure. You putting the boom on the cart or out front of the tow unit ?

Not sure where ill put the boom at yet. Im thinking the back of the cart.

I found with the boom on the back of the cart it gets to be a pain in the neck, literally, to watch where the edge of the spray patern is. Especially if there are any bushes, flowers, etc. to spray around. Once it gets to close you cannot correct it. With the boom on the front of the tractor is much easier.

I got lucky, was in the local TSC and they had a 35 gallon sprayer for sale marked as "leaks AS-IS" for next to nothing. Picked it up, brought it home, filled with water to find the leaks. Not sure if the original purchaser caused the leaks by using pliers to tighten the hose or if they used pliers in an attempt to "fix" a leak, but the tank had a small gouge which was leaking. Drained it, dryed it out with a hairdryer, then sealed the hole using a soldering iron to reflow the plastic; works great now.

Its funny how life will change things in mid stride. I was in the garage working on the sprayer when a friend of mine stopped by. He has a big farm a few miles up the road. He opened the back of his truck and told me to come here. When i walked over to his truck , he asked me if i wanted it. He had a almost new north star sprayer in the bed. When i asked how much he asked how much i had. When i pulled my money out and counted it , i had $80 . He said i wont leave you broke so give me $65 and its a deal. It wasnt big enough for what he uses it for. Since i want to use it for large jobs and small ones , i put quick connects on the hose and sprayers.

Attachments

• IMG_20190926_134451.jpg
    IMG_20190926_134451.jpg
    231.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20190926_134542.jpg
    IMG_20190926_134542.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20190926_134600.jpg
    IMG_20190926_134600.jpg
    224.8 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20190926_134609.jpg
    IMG_20190926_134609.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20190926_134622.jpg
    IMG_20190926_134622.jpg
    162.5 KB · Views: 6
Its funny how life will change things in mid stride. I was in the garage working on the sprayer when a friend of mine stopped by. He has a big farm a few miles up the road. He opened the back of his truck and told me to come here. When i walked over to his truck , he asked me if i wanted it. He had a almost new north star sprayer in the bed. When i asked how much he asked how much i had. When i pulled my money out and counted it , i had $80 . He said i wont leave you broke so give me $65 and its a deal. It wasnt big enough for what he uses it for. Since i want to use it for large jobs and small ones , i put quick connects on the hose and sprayers.
Well, that dog'll hunt.

Just like one I have only mine is yellow and says Boomgars. I think they are all made by the same company will different decals. I had mine on the back of a 4 wheeler & now use it in the back of the Ranger also. They are a good unit. Nice to have the longer hose and wand. Wouldn't it be nice if someone made a wand that would last longer than a few months? Those cheap Femco wands are pure junk but about all you can get.

If you have drift that you can see in the sun, use a courser nozzle &/or use anti-drift agent in your spray. When I was working for the Ag Chem Co, when the wind got close to 10 mph we would switch the Row Gators over to the Tear Drop nozzles to cut the fine drift down to near nothing. Can also lower the operating pressure. Mine has a bypass valve with pressure gauge where I can regulate the wand or boom pressure.

Mine has a bypass valve with pressure gauge where I can regulate the wand or boom pressure.
Mine too. As stated the stuff works but I don't like being around it. We've had several good dogs die from cancer earlier than normal and I believe it because they were exposed to sprays and it was absorbed through their paws. I now wait until it is suppose to rain before spraying so it doesn't stay on the lawn for days at a time.

I've had spray chemicals ruin the plastics on my Honda Foreman 450, so no front spray for me. Everything is plastic these days, so avoid any spray hitting it. I spray mostly with my wand doing fence rows and the like, but there are areas in hay ground that need 2-4D so when I build my new unit, I'll have the single broad spray tip out the back of the Kubota RTV a couple feet, maybe further. If I do go wide and miss a spot, it will show in 24 hours, so easy to go back and hit those areas.

Back