learned my leason today

jabelman

Tractorologist
my on going battle of working the demons out of the case 220 continued. last week i was running it again was hard to start then all black smoke running rough, pulled the air cleaner it was wet with gas, cranked it over gas shot of the carb.
I pulled the carb off and here the float was filled solid. so I ordered a rebuild kit and also a replacement carburetor.
replacement carb came I put it on, fires right up a minute later gas dripping out of it, tighten, adjust still gas dripping. I take it apart and damn float wasn't even attached broke off. so there it is my cheap replacement carb was junk.
so I took the old one, found a float off another old engine put it back on and back in business. guess I should have done that in the first place.

Chinese carb with plastic float?

I got one last year, same thing. The plastic float was broken. The wrapping for the package it came in was also beat up. I took pictures and emailed the supplier in China. They said they would send me another. 2 months later when nothing came, I complained again. They refunded my money. Never asked for the carb back.

Never under stood the guys who buy those cheap replacement carbs when some Lacquer thinner (carb cleaning fluid) and a gasket kit would fix what they have at hand Most times instead of supporting those Chinese junk factorys.

:D Al

Never under stood the guys who buy those cheap replacement carbs when some Lacquer thinner (carb cleaning fluid) and a gasket kit would fix what they have at hand Most times instead of supporting those Chinese junk factorys.

:D Al
Probably because after cleaning in three times and it still would not start good or run at low speed. Rebuild kit was close to $50. I put a new aftermarket carb (India build) on and it is still running great. $34 to my door. OEM replacement was $188. Not a GT but a Polaris Range w/Makuni carb. Have used several of the after market small carbs on chain saws and line trimmers. Cheaper and better than hassell trying to try and fix what is at hand.

Never saw any carb cleaner that would fix a leaking float. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Ive never had bad luck with the Chinese carbs. I always seem to find engines I want to get running again that are missing the carb! I have several old Tecumseh setting around for minibikes or go karts. None of them carbs or recoils on them....

I've only found success in rebuilding a couple carbs.

The only small engine carbs that I have ever had to pay $50+ for just a kit we're an onan DD and a couple others that were for Briggs opposed twins. That's just nuts considering what little you get with them. My biggest problem with rebuilding a carb is usually when I try an aftermarket kit in them.kohler kits are in the mid teens price wise, about the same as some of the cheapest of the offshore imitation carbs. I'd really rather rebuild an original than to take a chance on some of the stuff that comes in from over there. It's just too much of a crap shoot whether what you buy will be any good. Some have gotten lucky and got one that works, that is bound to happen occasionally.
Yes I have had some that were too far gone to be any good, when I run into that I look for a better, used, OEM replacement and rebuild that.

I picked up two China made carb for those smaller engines at the surplus place a while back. Got two new in the box for $5. Don't have a place for them just yet but for $2.50 each bet something will show up.

Back