Lighting the way

MH81

Tractorologist
Staff member
Administrator
Not exactly a standard attachment, but something I intend to have hanging near my tractors as part of a serious display.
Near as I can figure by research, it's from '64

Attachments

• IMG_20201018_200302911.jpg
    IMG_20201018_200302911.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
By the design of the top and that particular Sears logo I'd have guessed older.
Is there a date code on the bottom of the fuel tank? Most had it stamped in. Up underneath
Go to coleman collector's forum for more info on that.
I have a newer Sears lantern, it's olive drab and from '72.
In between yours and mine they had blue ones, real close to 70s Chrysler engine blue.

The lantern I have was my Fathers. It is a Coleman and if memory serves me right it should date back in the early 50's. Double mantel with the reflector. Had the amber globe also but in the moves it got broke and discarded. Will have to check the date cold once.

Last edited:
If it Hasn't been run in a while, you might have to take it apart and trim the bottom of the wick if it doesn't want to light off easy, if you don't want a fireball. Ask how I know that one.
Besides the pump plunger needing oiled or replaced, or the gasket on the fill cap needing replaced for being dried out etc.
None of this is hard to do

Hardest thing is getting it apart after long time sitting idle. I rebuilt the lantern a year ago and the lantern this summer. Both "should" be good to go. Haven't located the lantern yet.

I meant the catalytic heater. I rarely have much problem with the lanterns besides occasional blown mantles.
I only ever had trouble getting a couple of 200A single mantle lanterns, the 1st one several years ago I gave up on, the one I have now, I wound up unscrewing the valve from the tank and found the pickup tube sooted/carboned up. works great now. Surprisingly bright for only a single mantle.
I only have a dozen Coleman lanterns (sold 1 this past summer in my garage sale, had 13) have 1 catalytic heater left (sold my other one, have the fireball version still) and 7-8 Coleman, 2 burner stoves..... I wish I could locate my 3 burner model. I will be getting down to maybe 3 stoves...

Don't remember now what I had to do to get it going again but don't think it was much. Dried out from lack of use was the main thing. Had a 3 burner stove we used from camping 30+ years ago. It rusted up so bad it was not salvageable as It was in a building and the roof leaked right down on it and I didn't catch it for a couple years as I never go in there. Guess I should have just to look, huh.

I think my old Coleman is the same style as the Sears one. That is a very cool collectable Alan!

Have a 2 burner stove and a catalytic heater. Not sure where the heater is though! I test the lantern and stove every fall just in case of a power outage. Last time I actually used them was the 2013 blizzard "Atlas" Oct. 4-5th. No power for 28 hours. Had hot food and light!

I scrapped a 3 burner stove and table in 2006 before I knew better. They had both been through a flood in 1972 and were forgotten about under our old trailer house. I think they could have been restored. The lantern was from the same camping set, but it was at my aunts house so didn't loose it in the flood. The 2 burner stove is a lot newer.

DAC

10-4-13 blizzard 006.jpg10-4-13 blizzard 025.jpg

Back