Likely rehashing an age old debate

Greasy6020

Tractorologist
Wide tires vs skinny tires...

But with a twist given my situation.

I have a riper rt16 that id like to set up for heavy pulling/pushing type work.

It currently has 23 950 12 turf tires with chains aand wheel weights, it’s horrible in anything wet, in mud. Only situation it shines in is snow and ice, even then the MF 14 puts it to shame.

Would I see any benefit from swapping out to6-12 ag tires and putting wheel weights on the 6-12 ags? Or would that be a waste of time?

Ground I play on is red clay, impossible when wet, tough when dry

Turf tires suck for grip, although with chains shouldn't have been too bad. Ags, should be better I think.
I recently picked some ATV tires real cheap and find them with quite a good grip. I guess the tread and softer rubber compound makes a big difference.

Attachments

• IMG_0797.jpg
    IMG_0797.jpg
    103.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0795.JPG
    IMG_0795.JPG
    103.6 KB · Views: 9
One of the power Kings I used to have had 8-16 turfs with 2 link chains, filled with calcium. It would pull a trailer of wood through some pretty nasty mud. Now my power king has 8-16 AG with weights and it can barely get itself through those areas. As said, I think the generally ruled upon rule of thumb is wide to float on mud, and skinny to cut through snow.

Turf tires suck for grip, although with chains shouldn't have been too bad. Ags, should be better I think.
I recently picked some ATV tires real cheap and find them with quite a good grip. I guess the tread and softer rubber compound makes a big difference.
ATV tires do provide much better traction than Ag tires. They also tear the grass up when mowing and the ground has moisture in it. I have a 2 X 4 4 wheeler with solid rear axle. It will really leave marks when turning on grass or even in the rock drive. My 4 X 4 Ranger will also to some extent just from the side scuffing of the tires.

ATV tires do provide much better traction than Ag tires. They also tear the grass up when mowing and the ground has moisture in it. I have a 2 X 4 4 wheeler with solid rear axle. It will really leave marks when turning on grass or even in the rock drive. My 4 X 4 Ranger will also to some extent just from the side scuffing of the tires.

I hear you, dads atv has a solid rear axle...

Back