Liquid moly gear oil additive

bobcat2

Tractorologist
Hello all,

Was curious if anyone adds an additive to their gear oil or transaxle fluid?

Saw a product called liqui-moly for gear cases and differentials that claims to reduce gear friction. My transaxle calls for 5 quarts of non-detergent 30w oil. I've read of others using heavier oil, but my concern was when the temperature dips below 0 F. I wasn't sure if this additive would be beneficial...I guess the transaxle has worked for 50 years, I probably don't need an additive, just good old preventive maintenance.

What are your thoughts?

Thanks,
bobcat2

Justice Brothers is the only one I use. There is a large respected salvage yard in this area that sends a tube with every differential or gearbox they send out. If you don't put it in when filling with lube your warranty is void. Just put a tube in the front differential on the 05 Escalade as it was making a little noise. Changed the grease twice and installed the JB the third time and the noise is almost completely gone. Bought a used Ford differential for an older pickup. Came with a tube and was installed and never had a problem with it.
Haven't tried anything else.

1580786404205.png

Thanks for the advice.

Was just curious about your thoughts. Wasn't sure if it could benefit under heavy loads like plowing or pulling.

Never used additives. I have clean oil in tractor
I switched all gear/transmission and transfer case oils in my pickup to synthetic. It does make a difference in roll resistance when it’s stinking cold. Stick shift moves freely as well

Back