Looking at a HF Transmission Jack

cjet69

Tractorologist
I need to replace the clutch and slave cylinder in my 1991 Ford Ranger. We used to have a transmission jack that my brother got from his BIL. Several years back the BIL needed it back to pull a transmission so Now we no longer have one. We have 2-3 trans jobs in the near future so I figure it was time. After looking at some high priced ones I went to the HF site and like the looks of the 2000 lb model. It looks more stable than the smaller cheaper models and I'm sure I can find other uses for it. Need to get it before the sale ends.

1718231445185.png

If it wasn't for HF I wouldn't have half the tools I have now. Never could afford to get all that stuff anywhere else. Only had a couple minor issues with tools from HF.

That jack ought to work well for you, CJet!

DAC
Some of the USA made name brands are out of my league as far as price goes. This model also has more lift height st 31" than the cheaper models 24". Wish I had your 4-post lift, DAC.

Some of the USA made name brands are out of my league as far as price goes. This model also has more lift height st 31" than the cheaper models 24".
Unfortunately, I don't need that tool since I can't get back up off the ground after laying on the floor using it---LOL! I have to strategically make sure there is something to get ahold of to assist getting my butt up again! I have one that can be stuck on a floor jack. Used it once many moons ago but that was it. Don't remember where it came from even.

DAC

I honestly don't think most HF isn't as bad as some put them out to be. For the average guy their tools are more than suitable.

My tool box at work is filled with a lot of harbor freight stuff. Icon to Pittsburgh. I’ve broken stuff but on the other side of that I’ve broken high end tools.

My tools at home are a mix of wright, Williams, proto, harbor freight, and craftsman. Many things inherited from family members. It’s quite a mixed bag of tools! But I’ve done a lot of work with them.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with harbor freight tools.

I’ve never used the transmission jack but I have their low profile 3 ton, and their off road jack. No complains at all!

Last edited:
My front diff went on my truck this winter and same story.. I sold my trans jack that was languishing for decades in the shop.. The front diff weighs ~200# so there is no way I'd be able to wrestle that thing around. Searching around the web I found a transmission adapter that mounts on a regular floor jack. Just remove the cup and slide the tranny plate in! It was only about $60 too. Worked like a dream! Happy shopping!

My front diff went on my truck this winter and same story.. I sold my trans jack that was languishing for decades in the shop.. The front diff weighs ~200# so there is no way I'd be able to wrestle that thing around. Searching around the web I found a transmission adapter that mounts on a regular floor jack. Just remove the cup and slide the tranny plate in! It was only about $60 too. Worked like a dream! Happy shopping!
I looked at those also. Our jack is a long old style that is tough to operate while under a vehicle. I like the HF jack as the handle rotates 360° and the wider stance should be more stable.

Attachments

• 100_6294-m.JPG
    100_6294-m.JPG
    229.7 KB · Views: 3
Back