Lost Power Steering

chieffan

Tractorologist
Cub cadet 1862. Had hydro oil and filter changed about 30 hours ago. Oil is clean and full, not loosing any. Issue started about 3 mowing back, getting kind of slugish and a jerk once in a while. Today after about 1.25 hours of mowing it started the same thing. got worse faster to the point it took both hands to turn it. When I started mowing it was working great. Hydro oil should have been hot long before the 1.25 hours. Oil is Northland IH Transhydraulic with a Baldwin filter. Tractor has, by the hur meter 865 hours. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Bought a super several years ago that had drifting issues with the power steering. That had to have the power steering unit rebuilt which solved the issue. Guessing it is the same with this one.

Used the Satoh with loader to push up a bunch of Maple 2nd growth trees into a brush pile. Then mowed with the Cub 1862 for a little over an hour.Sure wish the Bever had power steering like the 1862 cub does. But it don't so will usr it a is and be happy.

Last edited:
Got the upper coupler (CV joint)out and cleaned up. Had a bunch of crud in it, no grease and never been apart. Balls were stained but not pitted so were usable. Replacements NLA of course. Got it packed full of CV grease, which made a mess trying to hold the joint together and back on the lower steering unit shaft. All mounted in, not to replace all the stuff that had to come out just to get at the CV joint. Hopefully that will solve the problem but not holding my breath on that. Will know after a couple hour's work on it yet. Have some side hill grass that needs to be mowed with this unit as it has the pressurized oil system. Both of the other mowers are splash oil systems.

You are so right, and it is worse when you have bad shoulders. I have my IH782 as back up and it don't steer to bad. Lot lighter tractor to begin with and the deck is only about a third of the GT54 deck.

Tractor is back up and running again. Steering issue is not solved completely but I sure helped it a bunch. going to have to have the steering unit gone through. I kind of remember a service bulletin that came out on the Ross Power Steering unit. They get gummed up inside and need to taken apart, cleaned and put back together and rarely do they need any complete rebuilds but cannot find that service bulletin now.

Changed the hydro fluid filter this morning. Hope that will solve the issue even further. If it dries up enough will have to mow tomorrow afternoon. Will find out then how the steering is. Have the rebuild kit located as well as the extra spring kit. 6 small springs inside that unit that can get away from guy really easy so will get the kit before I need it. Local tractor repair shop will do the rebuild for me.

Mowed for 2 ½ hours this afternoon and the power steering never missed a beat. The main reason was the gummed-up CV joint in the tile wheel setup. Most other GT's I have seen use a small U-joint for the tilt feature. Not hard to clean up and put back together once you get a bunch of stuff removed to find it. Won't need the main unit rebuilt after all. That saved about $140.

Back