Made someone's week

MH81

Tractorologist
Staff member
Administrator
Last weekend, a gentleman stopped to see my mom and ask her if we owned a massey-harris 20.
He was looking for his grandfather's tractor, and tracked down the owner who had it before us. That gentleman said that he had sold it to my family.

Through the week, we made contact and I arranged a meeting at the farm for him to look at the tractor. It ended up being his grandfather's.

We came to an agreement on price and I told him that I would at least get it running for him before he took it.
The last time it was out of the garage was 10 years ago at our local Massey show.

He is going to have to have the starter rebuilt and the tank is plugged, but the we pulled the tractor around the garage a couple times and she took off.
It will need some TLC and a tune-up, but he will be farming with his Grandpa's Tractor on the original homestead
Here he is sitting on it before I had a chance to file the points and clean up the carb.IMG_20200823_221513.jpg

We even had the original owners manual with the date that his grandfather bought the tractor and the date when he sold the tractor.
IMG_20200823_221523.jpg

Great story good the two of you came together, its amazing how many time I see posts how someones Dad passed and this old tractor is in the shel what's it worth and many many will tell them hang on to it for a while think it over you just may want to keep it, and there are the stories likes this one where someone is searching for their Granddads or their Dads tractor

Great story.
But I bet it was bitter/sweet for you..
Really it was just sweet.
my dad may have bought that tractor in 1989, but he sure would have gotten a kick out of the fact that it ended up back on its original homestead owned by the grandson of one of the original owners.

It's not new, it's going to need work, but this guy is just happier than all get-out that he found Grandpa's tractor. He got a little quiet after he told me he remembered riding on the drawbar behind Grandpa. He said the seat was a lot higher up then.

MASSEY HARRIS 20 standard.

I thought i had found a super rare MH 20 when I found mine. Has a wide front end adjustable so is a rowcrop model but had the rare 140 CID continial engine only in the K models.
Came to find out later the engine had been changed.
Great story.

Al

Back