Massey 1655 Loader Build

jason silliker

Jason Emerald P.E.I. Canada
Alright guys I'm trying to get motivated to get a loader built for one of my 1655's!

I like Chris Coleman's build & will be going somewhat similar... FEL build for my Snapper 1855a
My thinking so far.....
Pump 6.3 GPM .366 3,850 PSI 12 Outlet (1) 10 Inlet (1) ORBF from Princess Auto 8375370 https://www.princessauto.com/en/63-gpm-hydraulic-gear-pump/product/PA0008375370 driven off the front pto coupled with a 15 tooth 1" adapter

Looking at this triple DCV as I want to add a set of hoses to the front to run a small grapple for fire wood.
DCV 3 Spool (1 Float) 11 GPM 1/2" BSP (4) 3/8" BSP (6)
1x FLOATING 3 Spool Hydraulic Directional Control Valves 2x DA Double 40L 11 gpm | eBay
(I want to have the first valve as the float (reverse of this one but you get the idea)
It'd be pretty neat to have enough old Massey valves to make up a triple like the on board valve but they aren't easy to come by lol

Cylinders
2"x 24" lift cyl.
2"x 16-18" curl cyl

I'm thinking 2x4 tubing for the arms & Either 3x3 or 4x4 for the uprights, one as the tank of course.

Just the preliminary thoughts but let me know what you all think

Your plan sounds good to me, but I'm not any kind of expert! OlCowhand built the loader on my tractor, was originally a 1655, then became an 1855, and is now a diesel 2055! It's at a friends place right now, digging the foundation for his house and shop, but when I get it back, I'm happy to take any measurements you might want off it.

I'll be following along Jason, don't know if I will ever build one but it will still be very interesting! You have the best advice around with Daniel and Sarge's help!

DAC

Jason if you need another valve for a 3rd spool I have a spare here I would part with. I’m not sure if they really have enough flow for the larger pump and loader but it’s an option I suppose?

I’d like to have a triple for a loader to make it seem original but I couldn’t find their flow rate either. I thought about a third one on the tractor it’s self. I seen you teed off your lines on the 1650. Any plans on using a third on yours? I’m thinking that I’m going to remove the mid mount Cylinder on the one I put the loader on and using it on the rear as a top link cylinder. Going to run hoses from that valve to use as ports on the rear similar to what you did and if I had a third valve I probably use two sets back there. See as I’ll have a third function on the loader and any attachments will likely hook on to the loader I don’t think I’ll need any up front. I don’t see much use for the mid mount mower once I have the loader on it and seeing as I have a rear discharge deck I want to hook it up as a three-point like they used to sell anyway. It will probably never be a mowing tractor anyway lol. I might end up selling one of the 1655’s. PM on what you think on the valve. Which one is it floating or non?

Last edited:
Its the one without the float, I used the float valve on the tractor. The plan was to connect it to one of the rear remotes I added but I can’t recall if I actually did that or not lol. Thought it might be handy for a hydraulic top link or maybe a hyd angle blade. I’ll send you a pm.

Good to know Daniel, wow and his has 2 1/2” lift cylinders. I can get the triple brand new for 250. The originals are hard to find let alone find two sets to make a triple lol
Well, it flowed great! But I wanted to switch to a joystick, so I replaced it with a new valve. I think I remember where I put it, it was the two spool, one with float. Want it?
full

Last edited:
Well, it flowed great! But I wanted to switch to a joystick, so I replaced it with a new valve. I think I remember where I put it, it was the two spool, one with float. Want it?
full
Wow I definitely appreciate the offer! Yeah they just bolt together. Mac has offered me a single one as well! I was looking at a new triple as I want a set of ports at the front of the loader for attachments such as a grapple. They also sell a joystick and a third regular handle beside it but I didn’t care for the look. I figured that if the original Massey valves could handle the flow it’d be cool to have the original look. I’ll PM you.

So out of curiosity does the placement of the float valve matter as far as the order of flow? I would want the float valve as number 1 for the lift cylinders and 2&3 be the regulars (handles facing me where as the handles face away on the Massey’s). Hopefully this makes sense? Basically in reverse order of factory.

So out of curiosity does the placement of the float valve matter as far as the order of flow? I would want the float valve as number 1 for the lift cylinders and 2&3 be the regulars (handles facing me where as the handles face away on the Massey’s). Hopefully this makes sense? Basically in reverse order of factory.

doesnt matter, I have 1 and 2 as float and 3 as non float. or maybe 1 and 3 as float, can't remmeber. I haven't been in my shop to grab some pics for you I'll try to remember tomorrow. If you don't hear from me by lunch send me a message on facebook lol.

Supplysergeant is kindly hooking me up with his valve set (I cover shipping of course) so she might be Massey retro yet lol. Gotta love the helping hands on the forums, it's really too bad the other forums are dropping off. Gotta keep the old iron going guys lol.

full
Hey Daniel just curious if this valve that was off of a Massey originally? It looks like it but it also looks like it has a relief valve on the right, most of those didn’t come with relief valves. Hopefully that’s what it is?

Last edited:
Back