Miro Flare roadside reflectors

MFDAC

Tractorologist
About a month ago my wife and I were going to Hot Springs to visit her Mom and stepdad in their new apartment. We took the long way through the Black Hills and stopped at a Flea market, junk, antique store near Crazy Horse Mountain. Lots of cool stuff but I had to buy these. No price marked and I offered 15 bucks and they took it.
DSCN4716.JPG

I finally made a little time today to take them out of the mount and open them up.
DSCN4717.JPG

Had to throw the flags away obviously. All I did for clean-up was take the shop vac to them.
DSCN4720.JPG DSCN4725.JPG

Hard to get a picture of the letter and logo stamp.
DSCN4727.JPG DSCN4731.JPG

Now the reason I had to have them! These were optional accessories for 1955 in GMC trucks.
1956GMCAcc0016.jpg

About 10 years ago I found a full set of these in a scrapped '55 GMC. Took them home and restored them ---that was before I knew they probably came with that truck! My truck is rough on the outside and unrestored and after I learned this info I have been kicking myself in the a$$ for restoring that set! Now I have a set that goes with the truck---LOL!

The restored set.
DSCN4733.JPG

The truck.
Drive 55 4-2-16 013.jpg

As you can see the restored set would look out of place mounted in the bed of this truck---LOL! This new to me set will look much better!

DAC

Those are nice Doug. My dad had something similar to those but I can’t remember a name on them. Sadly to say he used them a lot.

I’m not sure how bad your exterior is but a lot of guys work very hard faking that natural look you already have. If it was mine I would have a hard time deciding wether to paint or leave as is. There’s a guy passes the house occasionally with a mid 70’s Dodge power wagon. It’s several different colors with surface rust. I know it’s a sleeper, nice wheels and tires, and sounds nice too.

Those are nice Doug. My dad had something similar to those but I can’t remember a name on them. Sadly to say he used them a lot.

I’m not sure how bad your exterior is but a lot of guys work very hard faking that natural look you already have. If it was mine I would have a hard time deciding wether to paint or leave as is. There’s a guy passes the house occasionally with a mid 70’s Dodge power wagon. It’s several different colors with surface rust. I know it’s a sleeper, nice wheels and tires, and sounds nice too.
The '55 is no sleeper, and I don't think that patina is natural either, Jim. I think someone DA sanded it at one time way before I rescued this thing from the crusher in 2009. Been driving it since 2011. It's got a mid 1960's Chevy 230 I-6 in it, which is a peppy little engine and gets great gas milage. It's just a fun beater, but not worth putting thousands of dollars of bodywork and paint into. Most folks say not to ever paint it. I'll go along with that opinion!

There is a guy on FB that does amazing fake patina that looks 100% real, and his talent is getting him rich! So many folks seem to want it. One of the cool things he does is if there is a vehicle with perfect survivor patina, but say one fender is wrecked, he takes a good fender and will match that to the car or truck's overall original patina.

DAC

Back