Multi Meter

MFDAC

Tractorologist
My old meters are cheapie and one is even analog. I'm tired of soldering the wires in the probes. I decided it was time to step into the 21st century and get a new one. Of course this one is still a cheapie Chinese one but it feels and what little I have used it, seems decent in quality for a 33 dollar meter. I did a little research and even brand names like Fluke are Asian made too, but the standards could be different of course.
DSCN4769.JPG
The probes from the analog one won't fit the digital ones. Those probes are still in good shape!

DSCN4774.JPG
This is the one I bought. I wanted the Min/Max volt feature.

KAIWEETS HT118A Multimeter 6000 Counts Auto-ranging AC/DC Current Voltage Tester 824007619085 | eBay

DSCN4772.JPG
The probes feel durable, but the meter did not come with alligator clips. Didn't look like I could use my old ones until I figured out that those caps come off.

DSCN4773.JPG
The probes fit into my old clips snugly.

Hooked the alligator clips to a battery to take a pic of the meter reading voltage. The screen is a nice size and has a backlight. There is a kickstand on the back too to hold it up.

DSCN4770.JPG DSCN4771.JPG

I think it will probably do more functions than I know how so it should be a good tool around here.

DAC

I use a triplet 310 at home plus fluke 87V, and a Simpson 260 I use at work. These were all bought by the mine and I just kept them when I left….

For home use any meter that will do AC/DC and resistance is about all a fella needs. Amp clamp or probes are nice. I’ve used that a few times when I was troubleshooting a hot water heater.

Your meter looks to have everything you need! Electrical circuits are fun to learn. But can get challenging pretty quick. Every time I get stuck on a project like that at work I learn a dozen things. We have an electrical guy that is borderline genius and he loves to teach.

My old meters are cheapie and one is even analog. I'm tired of soldering the wires in the probes. I decided it was time to step into the 21st century and get a new one. Of course this one is still a cheapie Chinese one but it feels and what little I have used it, seems decent in quality for a 33 dollar meter. I did a little research and even brand names like Fluke are Asian made too, but the standards could be different of course.
View attachment 60839

DAC

I spy with my eye the Harbor Freight FREE with coupon multi-meter. :) I have 4 of them !

1667095543250.png

You are so right, the wires do break off of the probes on the inside long tubes. I just strip a huge amount of wire insulation back exposing a load of stranded wires and jam it back into the hole. Then epoxy the wire to the top of the probe hole. Or electrical tape. Whatever is near at the time.

I spy with my eye the Harbor Freight FREE with coupon multi-meter. :) I have 4 of them !

View attachment 60931

You are so right, the wires do break off of the probes on the inside long tubes. I just strip a huge amount of wire insulation back exposing a load of stranded wires and jam it back into the hole. Then epoxy the wire to the top of the probe hole. Or electrical tape. Whatever is near at the time.
Yup, back in the HF good old days of freebies, Brett! I don't remember where I got the grey one and the analog one I probably have had since the 1980's, maybe longer??? I soldred those wires many times and the last time used epoxy, so the probes just started breaking in different places, and the wires would break above the solder. Enough of that. This new one may not be any better but at least it LOOKS like it should be---LOL!

DAC

That analog one look familiar, like maybe a Radio Shack unit. Had one of those I use for a long time. Have a couple HF freebies in the house and down in the machine shed tool box. Bought a new Fluke copycat a year or so ago. I like the clamp to use to hang it with.

View attachment 60931

I have the same old 3 of yours, but have a couple nicer Craftsman units. I always keep one meter with small gator clips on the wires.

Like Aaaron I have a big old triplet analog meter that is still one of my favorites. Nice to have a meter that works reliably when the temp is under 0°. For critical measurements I will grab a digital.
Doug your meter looks like a good one because it’s easy for old eyes to read

Like Aaaron I have a big old triplet analog meter that is still one of my favorites. Nice to have a meter that works reliably when the temp is under 0°. For critical measurements I will grab a digital.
Doug your meter looks like a good one because it’s easy for old eyes to read
Probably the biggest reason I bought it, Chris, and the backlight!

DAC

Back