My Deutz-Allis 917

Lawdawg79

Tractorologist
I figured I would start a new thread for this tractor since my original post here went real long.

I picked her up 7-6-19. I'll post any work I do to her on here. It will help me kinda keep a log of when I've done things too.
20190711_222352.jpg

So far I replaced the coil, cleaned the carb, cleaned up some wiring, and temporarily patched some holes in the deck with some sheet metal.

I replaced the Breather cover plate and installed new gaskets on it today.
20190726_133454.jpg
I noticed that part of the (valve guide?) On the right side looks deteriorated compares to the left.

What is that part at how hard is that to replace? Looks like I'll probably have to remove the head to get to it.
20190726_133431.jpg

Im going to replace the belt that drives the deck from the pto.

I show the part number for the Drive belt is 1650502SM

And the belt that goes on the deck itself and drives the 3 blades is 1657044SM

Is that correct?

Changed the hydro fluid today, used a napa 1335 filter and followed the procedures.
20190803_144324.jpg20190803_144332.jpg

What is this rod that is hanging down, it was up under the filter before i changed it. Then it fell in the process and wont stay up, what is it. What do i do with it?
20190803_144259.jpg20190803_144318.jpg20190803_144311.jpg

My relief valve kinda stayed up on its own and i had to push it back in, i think im gonna look into replacing it.

In other news, when it comes to paint im considering AC Orange for this thing, the best i can find is around 100 per gallon for DA spring green, or i can "easily" find AC orange for 30 bucks a gallon all day long. The paint on the whole thing lools like someone scuffed the tractor with 300 grit and rattle canned it green. The paint under the fender looks to me to be the only original green left on the tractor and its a slightly different and glossier paint.

When my dad was in town from Texas this past week we got to talking about it and I found out my great grandpa owned all AC tractors back in the 50s. Dad said he specifically remembers those orange tractors around the old family farm when he was a kid.

Last edited:
Yep that whats it was, i bet it has something to do with the belt coming off the pulley. The belt was pretty shot too, ordered a blue kevlar for it.

im still stewing on this paint job. Still leaning towards orange but im thinking this is just gonna be a custom job at this point. Right now im thinking paint whats green AC orange, leave the frame black, and either paint the rims orange or recoat them silver. Then put some old school AC lettering on the hood, the 917h decals, and the dash decals. Probably finish it off with installing LED headlights.

Ok, i need the belt that goes from the pto to the drive spindle on the deck. I've got the wrong belt here, but oh well I was going to change all these belts on this thing anyway.

Edit: so i have ordered 1657044SM = NAPA 6521BR, is that the one that is on the deck itself, or the one that drives the deck from the pto?

I need the one that goes from the pto to the main drive spindle on the deck.

Last edited:
Well, that knocks replacing all the belts off the list.

New hydro relief valve came in, should anything be applied to the threads of the new one before I install it?

Also, does anyone have a current link to an oil filter adapter for this KT17? I believe its a base plate. Ive found posts where the one from the magnum 20 is a direct fit, but i cant seem to find it one google or Ebay. All i can find are remote filters.

Depending on whether the KT 17 is a series 1 or 2. Series 1 and early production series 2 you CAN'T put an oil filter adapter on to.

Can anyone advise if this is the correct Tiller for my tractor, add says it has all the brackets and belt . But add calls it a simplicity 3 point

for it.Screenshot_20190815-210111_Facebook.jpgScreenshot_20190815-210110_Facebook.jpg

Back