Neat old car I saw today.

Propane1

Tractorologist
1930 Graham Paige. It was parked about a 1000 feet from my sons place. Fella I know has it. He is about as old or older than the car. He has been collecting and restoring old vehicles for many many years.

Noel

Attachments

• EB4985F7-DEC3-49B0-A720-39F5CF136B8E.jpeg
    EB4985F7-DEC3-49B0-A720-39F5CF136B8E.jpeg
    327.7 KB · Views: 22
1930 Graham Paige. It was parked about a 1000 feet from my sons place. Fella I know has it. He is about as old or older than the car. He has been collecting and restoring old vehicles for many many years.

Noel
That's a beautiful old car, Noel! The old gent that did the restoration is pushing a century old then! Hope there's family members that will appreciate his work, and possibly even learned it!

Except for the larger visor that sure looks a lot like my DeSoto.
View attachment 37717
I forgot what year the DeSoto is, Chris, but it's a beauty as well! Take the pic at Lake Poinsette? (Hope I spelled that right---LOL!)

Thanks for the pics, guys!

DAC

Yes Doug. He has a son who is right into ramblers like his father. The son drag races ramblers some where in Ontario.
He also has a daughter who was a lawyer. But I don’t know if she’s into antique vehicles or not.

Noel

Chris, would the Desoto and the Graham Paige car be made by the same manufacture. And they just put different names on them ? They sure do look the same.

Noel

Yes Doug. He has a son who is right into ramblers like his father. The son drag races ramblers some where in Ontario.
He also has a daughter who was a lawyer. But I don’t know if she’s into antique vehicles or not.

Noel
I wonder what they racing as I recall many 12 second cars were trailered. My daughter was test driving a 5 passenger Audi family grocery getter...444 hp, 11.8 second quarter mile . Stock!!

I forgot what year the DeSoto is, Chris, but it's a beauty as well! Take the pic at Lake Poinsette? (Hope I spelled that right---LOL!)
Not far from Lake Poinsett. That is one of the lakes that runs into Poinsett. You had it right except for the "e" on the end. It's a 1930. Dropped off the two rear doors this morning to have safety glass installed.
Chris, would the Desoto and the Graham Paige car be made by the same manufacture. And they just put different names on them ? They sure do look the same.
Your right they do. Even the louvers in the hood look the same. The Graham has a larger visor. After some research it appears that Chrysler and Graham-Paige were associated. If your interested more information can be found here. Graham-Paige produced line of well built, highly-respected autos

Very interesting read, Chris! Thanks for the link. No doubt tooling probably got shared since they were so closely related. I never knew both of the Dodge brothers died in 1920.

Good job getting safety glass in the rear doors. The rest of the car must already be equipped with it?

Lake Poinsett is the lake I remember most when I would go visit my future wife while she was going to vo-tech school in Watertown. That was way back in 1977. The winter of '77-'78 it froze out and there were thousands of smelly dead fish everywhere that spring. It was a very brutal winter.

DAC

The rest of the car must already be equipped with it?
The rear quarter windows and rear window are still plate glass. The original interior is too fragile to remove and have the glass changed.
The winter of '77-'78 it froze out and there were thousands of smelly dead fish everywhere that spring.
Don't think that lake has had a die-off since. Others around here have. That was a bad winter. I used 250 gallons of gasoline that winter just to keep the driveway open. I remember it because I hauled it home one 55 gal. barrels one at a time. Was using a 1952 A JD with a trip loader. Sometimes we would have 2 blizzards a week. Brutal is a good description.

Last edited:
The rear quarter windows and rear window are still plate glass. The original interior is too fragile to remove and have the glass changed.

Don't think that lake has had a die-off since. Others around here have. That was a bad winter. I used 250 gallons of gasoline that winter just to keep the driveway open. I remember it because I hauled it home one 55 gal. barrel at a time. Was using a 1952 A JD with a trip loader. Sometimes we would have 2 blizzards a week. Brutal is a good description.
Best leave well enough alone on those other windows, Chris. glad you are preserving it as much as possible!

For some reason, I thought you had moved to South Dakota later than that. Hauling, loading and unloading 55 gallon drums is hard on a young man, and unthinkable nowadays! My wife has pictures of the gigantic plow piles around Watertown that winter. Her old '66 Valient slant six, 3 on the tree served her well always getting her to work and school, even in those rough conditions! It wasn't any fun driving out there to visit either. I was driving a 1971 Monte Carlo then. Didn't get a truck until 1979 after we had married. Had similar conditions out this way cold-wise, but not as much snow.

DAC

Looks like I have 4 pics, Noel. It had a 270 hp 350. I did put a set of good heads on it and converted it to electronic ignition with a kit from Mallory. Not much for other modifications besides those sidepipes---LOL! My brother in law and I spent the winter of 1980 doing body work and a decent paint job. Drove it in to town to a friends house and some drunk kid in a Scout sideswiped the drivers side while we were in the house. Hit and run. First time we had brought it into town after the paint job. Had some tough times so it never got the body work re-done. I sold it in 1984. Had bought it in 1976.

71 Monte Carlo in 1977.jpg

Wedding, 1978
Wedding Monte Carlo 001.jpg Wedding Monte Carlo.jpg

Right after bodywork and paint, 1980.
'71 Monte Carlo in 1980.jpg

DAC

I saw a 68/69 black Camaro today, on the road I lived on when I was about 13/15 years old. This reminded me of the exact same car I was in for a drive when I was that age, with a neighbour who owned the same looking car and took me for a drive in it.

Noel

Since I still have the truck I got my first drivers license in, some day I will get that "going back in time" feeling. It hasn't ran since 2005---LOL! Seems like something always gets in the way of working on it. 1970 GMC Jimmy, K/5. It was Moms and she drove it for 30 years.

DAC

Not far from Lake Poinsett. That is one of the lakes that runs into Poinsett. You had it right except for the "e" on the end. It's a 1930. Dropped off the two rear doors this morning to have safety glass installed.

Your right they do. Even the louvers in the hood look the same. The Graham has a larger visor. After some research it appears that Chrysler and Graham-Paige were associated. If your interested more information can be found here. Graham-Paige produced line of well built, highly-respected autos
Your safety glass may be 2 mm thicker than stock glass. Can make for a tight squeeze on glass going through the Cat Whiskers

They are supposed to be installing new channel for the glass to run in. Hopefully they get it right. I went there on the recommendation of a guy who restores Model A's.
Her old '66 Valient slant six, 3 on the tree served her well always getting her to work and school, even in those rough conditions!
Those old slant 6's were bullet proof. My grandmother had the same car and put many miles on it.
I have thought an option if something happens is putting a slant 6 in June bug because of their reliability.

Back