Need briggs expert

Mike Dahms

I rebuilt a 16 up brigg s and it is sitting on my bench. Would like to be sure it's getting spark before I install it in my B112. It has electronic ignition installed. My question is should I be able to see spark if turned by hand? Any thoughts on this will be appreciated.

If you pull it with a rope Yes but by hand you won't be able to spin it fast enough

If you have installed electronic ignition you may need the correct flywheel for a magnatron or need the flywheel repolarized,something Briggs used to do for free if you sent them the flywheel,I'm not sure if they still do or not.
Does yours have a starter generator or bendix ( gear drive ) starter ?
Either way you can pull the plug out,lay it on the head and bump the engine over with the starter to check for spark.
I use my big booster box to spin the engine over.

I tried the Magnatron conversion on an 10 hp B&S, cast iron. My the numbers it said it would work but it didn't. Dealer tried and no luck. Then they put the coil back on and said it was ready to go. Didn't start it there but when I got home - dead as a door nail. I turned the coil around and it fired and ran. I don't bring Briggs work to them any more. Point is, not all B&S engines will accept the Magnatron module so check it before you try to use it.

Back