Never Seen One Of These

Engine is a Kawasaki FD590V. Have one from a John Deere in my shop now. The camshaft has a plastic gear that very often fails. It's getting new camshaft (all metal), new composite oil pump and water pump gears, and new governor assembly. This engine would have been bullet proof if they hadn't put in a camshaft with plastic gear on it!

Engine is a Kawasaki FD590V. Have one from a John Deere in my shop now. The camshaft has a plastic gear that very often fails. It's getting new camshaft (all metal), new composite oil pump and water pump gears, and new governor assembly. This engine would have been bullet proof if they hadn't put in a camshaft with plastic gear on it!
Daniel I have a 12.5 Kawasaki FB460V on my 60” Swisher trail mower that had been repowered. This thing sits for months and even over the winter it’s ready, quick start, solid, and never boggs down. I need a spring that pulls it down to a slow idle. The PO put one on it but not the right one. I just can’t imagine having a liquid cooled garden tractor this size.

I’ve only seen one big John Deere that was liquid cooled. Liquid cooling on a GT just seems over kill to me.
My Olcowhand custom diesel Massey 1655 is liquid cooled, the way I use it it would be overheated constantly if it was aircooled! Loader duty is hard on engines, but the John Deere Gator / Yanmar diesel handles it like a champ! I do occasionally think about doing something to cool the hydro, but then I remember to switch on the electric fan Daniel put in for just that reason.

My Olcowhand custom diesel Massey 1655 is liquid cooled, the way I use it it would be overheated constantly if it was aircooled! Loader duty is hard on engines, but the John Deere Gator / Yanmar diesel handles it like a champ! I do occasionally think about doing something to cool the hydro, but then I remember to switch on the electric fan Daniel put in for just that reason.

I’m talking more about average sized garden tractors and lawn tractors.

You are talking a Diesel engine probably larger and more output than any 18HP lawn tractor. And that is a BIG tractor. But before Daniel altered it from its original state it was a 16HP Onan if I remember those right. It was meant for normal garden tractor duty

Yes, I added an oil cooler with fan for hard working for longer times.

Back