New guy(pic added)

bobcat2

Tractorologist
Hello all,

New guy here. Just picked up a running SS 12 with two spare engines, plow, wheel weights, and chains. Can't tell you the year because the model number on the shifter plate is worn and the engine was replaced in1979. Been working on restoring it a bit to use for plowing snow, been an interesting project, which brought me here.

I have a Craftsman DGS 6500 with a plow, but I just don't trust it or myself enough not to tear up the transaxle in it, I wanted something with real gears.

A bit about myself...

I'm a maintenance mechanic for large machinery made prior to 1950 by trade. I'm a regular at the hit and miss engine show at Coolsprings, PA(looking for a good Maytag or 3-5 hp hit and miss). I'm also a regular at the shooting range, I handload my own ammunition.

In the short time I've lurked around here, I think I'm going to like it.

Thanks,
bobcat2

Pictures of the SS12? Good solid tractor that will do some work.

Probably a good plan on using something other than the newer craftsman for plowing snow. It probably has a k46 or a hydrogear 310 series and they will eat themselves if you push it too hard other than cutting grass.

But then again I am not a fan at all of the lower end hydrostats for anything other than cutting grass.

It's a bit rough, but it runs. Got it about 40% torn apart at the moment. Believe it or not, I paid $75 for it, I told the guy I was stealing it, he just wants it to go to someone who will restore and use it. Gonna change up the paint scheme a bit and go with IH white and AC orange.

Waiting on a head gasket so I can decarb it, pulled the carb off and tore it down for a cleaning. Added a few ounces of seafoam to the crankcase, ran it for a few minutes and changed the oil, drained the milk from the rear, filled it with odd/end quarts of oil with seafoam added, put it on jack stands and ran it for a bit, drained that, and topped it off with 30w lubricating oil, the seals don't leak.

I've started pulling the tin off, sanding and wire wheeling it, priming and painting.

Attachments

• 20190811_070217.jpg
    20190811_070217.jpg
    182.5 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
That's a bargain. You bought the wheel weights and seller threw the tractor in for free
....This rare sighting, locally a 10 hp Sears for $500 CDN if Greasy6020 has not snagged it already

Welcome to the madhouse. Just a warning, once you get one, they start multiplying.

Pretty good buy especially since it runs. Your tractor is a 1969 model, only year for the Suburban 12 in orange with those badge plate on the hood.
Keep us updated with the restore. We are simple here...we have to have pics :thumbs:

Thanks for the welcome!

And thank you TAHOE for letting me know the year.

It's still a lot newer than the stuff I'm used to working on. Last month I changed the oil in a 25 ton overhead hoist that still had fish eyes/scales in it, I think it was installed in the mid 40's.

Hi bobcat2 welcome to the group the Suburbans are good tough tractors I have a few, paint it up IH colors will be good

That's a bargain. You bought the wheel weights and seller threw the tractor in for free
....This rare sighting, locally a 10 hp Sears for $500 CDN if Greasy6020 has not snagged it already

Well... wanna dog me a grave? Gonna get drug into the street and shot if I bring another GT home‍:confused:

Back