New motor for the Valve Refacer

cjet69

Tractorologist
Dad has had this small Van Norman Valve Refacer for a long time. About 8-10 years ago the electric motor burned up and it's been sitting on the bench ever since. Well, we decided it was time to put a new motor on it. This motor arrived late, but undamaged on Jan. 22. We picked up a switch and got it wired to turn the right direction and mounted it up. We now have our valve refacer back from the dead although it sounds like it could use some bearing replaced.

100_3888-m.JPGGOPR2070-m.JPGGOPR2064-m.JPG100_3893-m.JPG

I had a valve grinder given to me a couple of years ago. Black and decker. On mine the other motor was bad, the one that spins the valve by it's shank //
local electric motor guy told me it would cost me $400+ just to have him send the armature out to be rewound, plus bearings and brushes so I bailed. I was gonna have him go thru the grinder wheel motor at the same time, definitely needed a new cord anyway. That one was alright besides bearings and brushes but it wasn't worth me spending around $600 between the 2 motors that run it, I see valve grinders at swap meets that work for alot less.

We ha
I had a valve grinder given to me a couple of years ago. Black and decker. On mine the other motor was bad, the one that spins the valve by it's shank //
local electric motor guy told me it would cost me $400+ just to have him send the armature out to be rewound, plus bearings and brushes so I bailed. I was gonna have him go thru the grinder wheel motor at the same time, definitely needed a new cord anyway. That one was alright besides bearings and brushes but it wasn't worth me spending around $600 between the 2 motors that run it, I see valve grinders at swap meets that work for alot less.
We had a similar experience when we took the old motor in. This motor was around $90 IIRC.

I thought about just replacing the other motor, the one that drives the grinder wheels. But there would be no other such replacement for the motor that was bad on mine except for an exact replacement which would mean I'd have had to find another valve grinder just like the one I had to pirate the motor from. Van Dorn and black n Decker were the same machine. Mine was thought to have been from the 1940s.
And with that heavy base there really wouldn't be anything else on a valve grinder like it, to go bad enough to take such a machine out of service/ to a point where something else would be "junk" besides the motor(s) so unlikely that I could have found one to replace it. I've turned down valve grinders in better shape for free (or close to it) before on account of having no space for one. So though it would be nice to have, not $600 worth of nice as I know I wouldn't get much use from it.
I have the seat cutting tools, and know a couple of guys who have valve grinders that I can call and go over to use.

Back