New rims for a John Deere H

cjet69

Tractorologist
I've been given the task of replacing the rusty rims on a John Deere H for the guy that I have been getting my freebie stuff from lately. He inherited the H from his dad and is now fixing it up.

The owner had already removed one rim from the center when he dropped these off. After demounting a tire, I ground the rivets off and knocked them out with a punch and a BFH. Removed the center and hung the first one in the electrolysis tank yesterday afternoon.

GOPR2344-m.JPGGOPR2345-m.JPGGOPR2346-m.JPGGOPR2347-m.JPGGOPR2349-m.JPGGOPR2352-m.JPGGOPR2353-m.JPGGOPR2355-m.JPG

Not much progress. I've been waiting for dad to machine the adapter for these wheels. The one we have is just a smidge too big for the center. I guess I need to fire up the lathe. Took some pics of what we call our wheel machine which is just a spindle and hub that we make different adapters to fit whatever wheel we are working on. It makes truing up the wheel a lot easier than mounting on the tractor.

GOPR2473-m.JPGGOPR2474-m.JPGGOPR2475-m.JPGGOPR2476-m.JPG

Drilled the mounting holes and found some short flat bar to use for clamping the wheel centers. Drilled out the old rivet holes in the wheel center a little bigger for better welding then cleaned the paint off of the new rim and sprayed it with copper weld thru primer. Time to get the center's. pressed into the rims.

GOPR2634-m.JPGGOPR2635-m.JPGGOPR2636-m.JPG

What kind of interference do you have on this?
I’ve heard that those rim blanks are a good deal smaller than the centers.
Are you going to turn down the centers?

Joe

I have found that the centers at the rivet holes are raised up and need to be knocked down with a big hammer. Once that has been done, they slide in much easier. The rims will move for adjustment by tapping with a 2 to 4 lb hammer or dead blow.

Back