New Sledgehammer

cjet69

Tractorologist
I broke the handle off of our 6-pounder busting some concrete yesterday and the hardware store was out of handles that would fit. They had a rack full of Sledgehammer, so I picked out this Collins Axe 8-pounder with a fiberglass handle. The extra 2 lbs seem to break up the concrete better/easier.

GOPR2204-m.JPGGOPR2205-m.JPGGOPR2206-m.JPGGOPR2197-m.JPG

Lot of handle failure come from try to drive a steel post or stake with the handle rather than the maul. Me included. When the wood handle get loose set it in a container of water for a month or so.

After all them years my handle never failed me. I had to change the shim a couple of times. I loaned mine out which was a mistake. When I got it back I told him they work better when use the head instead of the handle. The section right below the head is about 1/4” gone or splintered.

After all them years my handle never failed me. I had to change the shim a couple of times. I loaned mine out which was a mistake. When I got it back I told him they work better when use the head instead of the handle. The section right below the head is about 1/4” gone or splintered.
Yep. That will do it every time. When I was working construction we would get young guys for summer help. When they walked in the shop for the first time with a $2 hammer and yard stick you knew it was going to be along day. Usually put them shingling where we could watch them, holding the hammer next to the head or both hands on the handle got them promoted to shingle bundle carrier.

Back