New to me...CHAMPION 4000 W Generator

larrybl

Tractorologist
Wasn't sure just where to put this, so sense I have never had or worked on a generator before I'll be tinkering with it and hopefully bring it back to life. I picked this up at a local Estate sale for $25.00. So far this is what I have found.
1. The CHAMPION web site where I can hopefully order parts I need.
2. The operator manual with parts break down.

The Generator is missing the pull start assembly and air cleaner, I can start it without these to see if the engine runs. I have removed the gas tank and carb for cleaning. I also removed the electrical panel. The inside of the generator doesn't look good, but not hopeless.

I do have spark! spun the engine with the drill and it has a good spark on the plug.

Onward and upwards, this may be fun.

Attachments

• 13.jpg
    13.jpg
    106 KB · Views: 19
  • 14.jpg
    14.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 18
  • 15.jpg
    15.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 17
  • 16.jpg
    16.jpg
    111.1 KB · Views: 19
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 19
  • 18.jpg
    18.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 18a.jpg
    18a.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 19
  • 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 18
I would love to find a fixer upper like that Larry! I have threatened to get a generator since 2013 when we were without power for 26 hours due to an early blizzard while the trees still had leaves. Needless to say, lots of trees taking down power lines.

Hope it all works when you get it cleaned up and assembled.

DAC

Not too many power outages here, but having something like this will make another piece of mind like the storm shelter. It will also give me the opportunity to do a full tear down and see just how these work.

After an outage in 2016 and I lost almost all my pond goldfish, I went out and found a nice used one. Only used it a few weeks ago during another power outage, but glad I had it this time. They are also nice as portable power, I've needed my welder behind the barn, ran it fine.

Is that dirt from water damage? Sure looks nasty inside there.

Nice find. I have a smaller Champion Generator, I fire it up every spring and hook it to an electric hedge trimmer just to exercise it.
Awesome generators quiet and smooth running.

After an outage in 2016 and I lost almost all my pond goldfish, I went out and found a nice used one. Only used it a few weeks ago during another power outage, but glad I had it this time. They are also nice as portable power, I've needed my welder behind the barn, ran it fine.

Is that dirt from water damage? Sure looks nasty inside there.
yea almost looks like it was under water..?

Yeah Marty, it looked to me it was in a flood or something as filthy as the innards look. But cleaned up well, I'd think it's still likely it'll power up.

I think I am as far into this as I want to be for now. Trying to decide the best method to clean up the stator section. I think my theory is correct about the mud splashing up through the rear vents, I don't see any evidence of it being under water.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 12
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 13
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 13
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    97.1 KB · Views: 12
I think I am as far into this as I want to be for now. Trying to decide the best method to clean up the stator section. I think my theory is correct about the mud splashing up through the rear vents, I don't see any evidence of it being under water.
electrical cleaner spray is what you need.

Yea, I'll blow out the electrical and use an appropriate cleaner on the coils, I plan on pressure washing the frame and some of the metal parts. Put it together and change the oil and try and get it running.

Attachments

• 100.jpg
    100.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 101.jpg
    101.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 6
Got the pressure washer out, and couldn't resist hitting the engine too, it was nasty under the shroud. I plugged all the holes with shop towels and pulled them out as soon as I finished. I'll let everything dry for a few hours while I clean up the electrical and get the drum sticks ready for the grille.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 9
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    165.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    178.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    88.9 KB · Views: 10
This is going quicker than I thought, so much for a long term project. Electrical is cleaned up, blew out the spider nests, wiped the wires and contacts down, and brushed most of the mud and dust off. The only thing left to clean is the carb, and the work space for assembly.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    179.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    163 KB · Views: 8
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 8
Carb cleaning and Dinner. Took a lot of wire brushing to clean the boul, and the needle valve was crusty. Dinner took over. Will get back to this tomorrow.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 8
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    82.4 KB · Views: 10
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 9
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    79.3 KB · Views: 10
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    74.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 9
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 8
The electrical parts all look like the previous owner didn't "let the smoke out" of anything. If it had been running when the mud was splashing in it something may have fried. A genuine Honda pull start should fit on there fine. Most all of our 3" and 4" pumps at work are Hondas and the only pull start problems we've had is ropes breaking occasionally.

DAC

Had a carb bowl on a Toro push mower a friend gave me today that look about like yours, Larry. Cleaned the bowl and main jet and it starts on the first pull. That ethanol gas really is bad for carbs when it sits in them long enough to evaporate.
Mike

Back