New toy!!!

reedb66

Tractorologist
I havent picked up a new toy for quite a while in the line of garden tractors.Well I did a little horse trading and ended out with a Ingersoll rand 4020 with the 3 point on it ,It has the Onan 20 hp motor.I have next to nothing in it so I can spend a few $$$ making it the way I want.Pics will come soon as I get help from my son on getting my phone to send them to the puter.Android phone is 3 years old and not doing its thing for some reason.Any things I need to check over on these tractors??Special wear points and such.It appears to be in decent shape but had sat outside for 2 years before I talked the guy out of it.I tradeed a Bolens 850 for it that I had $200 in and he gave me the Ingersoll and $300 cash for the Bolens.I didnt like the Bolens so it was an easy trade for me.This Ingersoll looks to be a beast.I was thinking of a pallet fork set up on the back to pick up these dead lawn mowers at the shop and move them around instead of dragging them around by hand .That and a bigger snow plow blade than I have now.

Nothing special to check, Just change all the fluids especially the hydraulic system. Check and make sure but the hydraulic fluid is likely Motor Oil, They won't work right with Hydraulic oil in them.
Heavy built Garden tractor definitely not a Yard Tractor.

Great tractors. Do change the oil, engine, hydraulic drive system, and the rear differential oil.
Do not put hydraulic oil in the hydraulic drive system. Put a good quality 15w-40 diesel motor oil in there. 15w-40 oil or 80w-90 oil in the rear differential. I’m on two different Case/Ingersoll web sites and that’s what they suggest.
When changing your hydraulic System oil, retract the mower deck and 3 point cylinders. Lots of info on the Internet.
Would like to see pictures of it when ever you can post them.
I’m no expert on these tractors, but I like mine. I have two Case tractors. Ingersoll bought out Case around 1984 or so.

Noel

Most I’ve seen on the Case sites I’m on say 15w-40 in a diesel oil. They also say you can’t seem to get 20w-40 any more. 20w-50 sure would work too. They also say to change the oil to a lighter grade for winter use, can’t remember exactly but I think it was 10w-30 for winter use. So I think along with some others that the 15w-40 is a good choice for year round service.
That’s what lm going to do.

Noel

I havent tried to buy any lately so you may right... 20w40 might be hard to find... but I would elect to use a heavier oil such as 20w50 in a hydraulic drive system... they get plenty warm enough even in a canadian winter... running 10w30 may affect how well the system works perhaps even to the point of losing ground speed... 10w30 is fine in a hydrostsatic transaxle but they dont get near as warm as hydraulic drive.

This information comes out of a Case 446 operators manual. So, winter time it says use 5w-20. I thought it was 10w-30. But I was just guessing. Any way. This is what it says.

Noel

Attachments

• 0A30C011-F7BB-44FA-AFB4-E8400E537CDC.png
    0A30C011-F7BB-44FA-AFB4-E8400E537CDC.png
    960 KB · Views: 6
ya but that spec was for a new system with the oils available at that time... now many of these tractors have 40+ years of service so they are nowhere near new specs and tolerances... just my opinion of course but I would not use anything lighter than 15w40 in an older hydraulic drive system.

With the Hy-Drive pump mounted directly to the engine the system runs hotter than any other hydraulic system Ive seen on a garden tractor so even in a colder climate I wouldnt use a light oil, the system is up to to normal operating temps as soon as the engine is warm.

Any, and Every, hydraulic system loses PSI with normal wear and tear, most of these older GTs still work fine for the chores most of us use them for but they Do Not Work as well today as they did when they were new equipment.... and there is no exception to that rule unless you restore the entire system using all new parts.

..and for the record... Im not knockin your big wheel Case/Ingersol tractors.... I quite like them myself, they ride better and have a higher ground speed than most older GTs... tires are gettin costly tho... and I wish they had pedal control.

Last edited:
I’m using 15w-40 year round. Just what I’m going to do. I agree that the 5w-20 would be to light. But that’s what the manual said.
My tractors are lucky enough that they are stored inside at the minimum temperature of 50 degrees or so. So by the time I get out to clear snow in the winter the oil is warming up away, so light oil would be no benefit.

Noel

"IF" you wanted to actually see how an oil change can effect any hy-drive or hydrostatic system you just need to mark out a couple hundred yards on a smooth driveway or road and do some time tests from a standing start.... it wont be a huge differance but its something you can measure easily.

Could do some drag racing with my two Cases. Hehe.
I am going to change the drive oil in both this summer at some point.
The 224 needs it to maybe get some more dirt out of it after the pump replacement last year. And the 446 has not been done since I got it. So I really don’t know what’s in it for fluid.

Noel

I beg to defer Lance. First picture is speed of the 446. Second is speed of the 224.

Noel

Attachments

• A76A7251-0E69-4A57-91FB-6D5E96A70868.png
    A76A7251-0E69-4A57-91FB-6D5E96A70868.png
    638.5 KB · Views: 10
  • 3A4478E2-F10F-45E7-A23E-743AE5844A93.png
    3A4478E2-F10F-45E7-A23E-743AE5844A93.png
    597 KB · Views: 11
Back