"New" trailer!

MFDAC

Tractorologist
I finally own a trailer! Well I'm not going to transfer the title until February when all of our plates are due. Not gonna give the state 2 months of rent when the existing plate is good 'till then.

It is titled as a 1955 Gator Boat trailer---LOL! Don't matter to me what it's called but I do have a 1955 truck too! Yes, it's home-built, my wife's uncle built it back in the 1980s. I have nothing into it as I traded a Craftsman snow thrower and grader blade that I got out of the scrap pile at work. My wife's uncle Jim already has the snow thrower mounted on an older Craftsman tractor that he has. Not the same model as the thrower though. He's 81 and still building all kinds of weird stuff including hot rods.

It needs work and even though Jim was hauling cars, pickups and tractors on it, I'm not sure I will. It's a tilt bed using an old floor jack to raise it up rather than weight shift. Lights all work as they should and it pulls decent. We used the '04 Jeep we also got from Jim recently as it had the correct wiring plug. That Jeep is not real forgiving pulling a trailer on old pavement. There is about 40 miles of newer asphalt on the highway we drive to get to his place but 35 is old. The newer drove perfectly, get on the old and it was quite rough! I will just get a wiring adapter and when we need the trailer we will use my wife's '06 Denali. The old GMC's will probably get their turn too just for shorter hauls.

Plans are to mount a 3,000 lb winch I have on it with a battery box. There is an old pickup tool box laying out back that I might mount it all in. Got to look it over and see what's feasable. At least I won't have to barrow a trailer any more. Might even clean it up and paint it.

It was dark when we got home so this is all I got for pics.

DAC

DSCN2841.JPG DSCN2843.JPG

I'd like to see the suspension and axle set up on it...
Nice looking trailer..!

If it doesn't have brakes on one axle, please be very careful, as that trailer empty can push that Jeep like a toy. I know as an even smaller trailer did it to my 98 Grand Cherokee on dry pavement! Thought I was gonna slide into traffic and I wasn't even going fast.

Thanks for all the comments, guys! I got it put in the shop just in the nick of time as the snow started falling. I don't have floor drains and water will ruin junk sitting on the floor and particle board cabinets! Now pictures.

DSCN2845.JPG

Jumpins that’s a great lookin trailer. What’s the sizes Doug. Looks big.

Noel
The bed dimensions without the side rails are 7' wide and 13'7" long, Noel. The side rails are built out of old overhead door tracks!

Nice trailer! Gotta show pics of the lift on it!

Here are lift pics, Kenny. It is actually more of a pivot-tongue rather than tilt-bed I suppose. The bolts against the bed are tightened down for pulling, loosened and flopped forward to tilt.

Down position
DSCN2847.JPG

Tilted up.
DSCN2848.JPG

Thanks for this. Gives me hope I'll still be able to do things if I'm around in 11 years. :thumbs:
If you run out of room you can park that in my yard. :)
Your going to like the way a tandem axle rides. Eliminates the bouncing around behind the tow vehicle.
For some reason, Chris, I think you will be working circles around most folks in 11 years! I wasn't happy with the empty ride on the old part of highway 79. It was fine on the newer asphalt. Probably the Jeep was just as much to blame as the trailer. I think those 3500# axles look too far apart. That's probably how the 1955 Gator boat trailer was set up.

That's 'home built'???

Impressive!
Now close up pictures will probably look a little more home built, Pig, but the build itself is about 35 years old much less the pieces he used.

I'd like to see the suspension and axle set up on it...
Nice looking trailer..!
I tried to get a couple of pics for you. Leaf springs, rocker, 3500# axles. Little 9" wheels. Tires are 8 ply rating, so probably not actually 8 ply. Still need to read the tire info.
DSCN2851.JPG DSCN2853.JPG DSCN2854.JPG

Nice trailer! Must be torsion suspension being we can't see leaf springs.
If it doesn't have brakes on one axle, please be very careful, as that trailer empty can push that Jeep like a toy. I know as an even smaller trailer did it to my 98 Grand Cherokee on dry pavement! Thought I was gonna slide into traffic and I wasn't even going fast.
I second trailer brakes.

Nice hauler.
With the pics I posted above you can see the leaf springs and there are no trailer brakes. That's a pretty big bummer! Main reason I have no big desire to haul complete vehicles on it, just parts, pieces and maybe garden tractors. I'm thinking a ton of junk will be plenty. I don't like the Jeep for a tow vehicle either, so it will be a full-size truck hauls it. Thanks for your heads up and concern about your Grand Cherokee experience, Daniel, and your vote also Willie!

Couple more pics.
DSCN2849.JPG DSCN2850.JPG

It probably ain't as cool as was expected by you folks after the pics, but it's about all I can afford. Will try to do improvements as time goes by!

DAC

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with that trailer! And a steal for what you have in it! Even heavy loads are no problem with careful driving and keeping distances wide, but you already know that.

When I bought my Bri mar the brakes had been gutted, it would push my ram 2500 empty on the trip home, empty weight acording to the title: 1700lb, didn't register it until I got brakes on it.

When I bought my Bri mar the brakes had been gutted, it would push my ram 2500 empty on the trip home, empty weight acording to the title: 1700lb, didn't register it until I got brakes on it.
Good advice, Adam, thank-you. Don't know the actual empty weight but the title says 700#---LOL! Think that's a little light!. Won't be any problem getting the title transfer here though. No inspection.

DAC

Good advice, Adam, thank-you. Don't know the actual empty weight but the title says 700#---LOL! Think that's a little light!. Won't be any problem getting the title transfer here though. No inspection.

DAC
Your wife's uncle was (is )a pretty good fabricator. I'm impressed. Very well thought out...

Bill

Looks great Doug. Brakes are a good thing to have. My trailer has brakes on both axles. Even then it’s hard to get stopped when someone jumps in front of you quick. Have to have brakes on all axles here. Won’t pass inspection with out it. Maybe you can put brake system on the axles.

Noel

Back