NH Boomer 35 (Not Mine)

KennyP

In memory of Alice's Creator
Staff member
A friend had sold his tractor last fall (Kubota L3130 or 3430 with loader). Finally found a replacement the other day. A 2018 Boomer 35 with 270 hrs. Has the NH 250TLA loader on it. Paid ~$20,000 for it. Was delivered Monday. I went over to check it out and help with hooking up his County Line 5' tiller to it. It's in very nice condition. But we found out the 3-point arms are shorter making the drive shaft too long. So I am going to cut it down to fit. Right now the shaft measures 28 inches pin to pin that locks the joint on the spline. Measuring on the tractor at those spots, we have 24". Plus we need the shaft to collapse some more to allow attaching/removing it. That means I have to cut 5.5-6" out of it. This is the triangle shaped hollow shaft, so not that hard to cut. Just want to be sure I am correct in my thinking so please chime in. Only other option I know is to add to the mounting point for the 3-point pins locating the tiller back further.

@olcowhand

If you move the tiller back with removable extensions it would still work on other tractors down the road some time. If the drive shaft is cut your prety much stuck with the short 3 point arm tractors.

If you move the tiller back with removable extensions it would still work on other tractors down the road some time. If the drive shaft is cut your prety much stuck with the short 3 point arm tractors.
That's my thinking. The friend that has this is my age so this will be his last tractor. Here's the tiller, don't see an easy way to move the lower mount pins forward.
Screenshot from 2022-03-02 07-54-03.jpg

I found this pdf on cutting the shaft, sounds like what I had planned.

Attachments

• PTO-Driveline-Cutting-Guide11.pdf
    543.9 KB · Views: 1
Guessing its a choice between buying longer arms or someone buying a longer pto shaft later in life...
Arms...he has to pay for now.
PTO shaft.....someone else's wallet.

That's the main question now. He is not that tractor savvy so I'm trying to do the right thing for him.
I ran into the same thing on a chipper I bought. Had to shorten it too. Only problem that could arise is if it gets lent out to someone else...

Back