Not So Simple Tube Install

Sawdust

Jim from Kentucky
Staff member
Been installing two new tubes since yesterday and still not done. I installed one yesterday and it leaked. Broke it down to find a pin like hole then patched it. I figured I pinched it. I installed the other one and it’s fine. This morning I checked the patch and it’s fine. I installed it and went to fill it up about half way then realized I put the tube in backwards because the valve stem started pulling itself back in. I broke it down again turned the tube around then installed it for a third time. I started putting air in and it leaks again. I broke it down pulled the tube out and found another pin hole like before BUT this time on the opposite side of the tube same place. I’m thinking because I had the tube backwards this is why it got punctured in the same place but on the other side. I spent twenty minutes looking for something in the tire and checking the inside of the wheel for a burr and found nothing. So I quit for the day around noon. I’ll cover all the bases again tomorrow hoping I find out what is puncturing this tube. I hope your heads aren’t hurting reading all this. :eek:

Been installing two new tubes since yesterday and still not done. I installed one yesterday and it leaked. Broke it down to find a pin like hole then patched it. I figured I pinched it. I installed the other one and it’s fine. This morning I checked the patch and it’s fine. I installed it and went to fill it up about half way then realized I put the tube in backwards because the valve stem started pulling itself back in. I broke it down again turned the tube around then installed it for a third time. I started putting air in and it leaks again. I broke it down pulled the tube out and found another pin hole like before BUT this time on the opposite side of the tube same place. I’m thinking because I had the tube backwards this is why it got punctured in the same place but on the other side. I spent twenty minutes looking for something in the tire and checking the inside of the wheel for a burr and found nothing. So I quit for the day around noon. I’ll cover all the bases again tomorrow hoping I find out what is puncturing this tube. I hope your heads aren’t hurting reading all this. :eek:
If I couldn't find something that punctuated the tube I'd cut that tube up for rubber bands. Could have just gotten a junk tube.
On the bright side it probably comes apart pretty easily.

Well hallelujah went out to the shop this morning and in three minutes I found the problem. About a quarter inch of the tip of a locust thorn. It just goes to show sometimes with frustration it’s good to walk away and come back with a clear head. Thanks guys!
9A074A2F-63D7-4140-956C-89157D4131CB.jpeg6C1B1944-1F7C-4319-BB28-9F2CE5F68F5A.jpeg

Slime is what I use for the HF leakers.
Me too. Have 2 of the hand trucks and all 4 tires have slime in them. 2 of the Polaris Ranger tires have slime in them. My neighbor has at least 4 Rangers they use for checking the cattle, fence work, etc. Lot of Honey Locust and those needles do not rot in the ground. First thing they do when they get a replacement unit is get slime in the tires.

Back