Oil Filter Quality

I like using oem filters myself. Fram was a good product once apon a time. Thanks for the link, interesting.

jhn9840
John

I've ran fram filters on 2 vehicles that went over 200k miles with no issues. Never seen an issue.

As far as I see He never actually tests the filtering ability of the filter. Just looks inside them. Any brand filter was garbage and could be linked to failures then there would be class action lawsuits everywhere.

Pick a filter. Use it. Change your oil at the suggested interval and you don't have an issue.

I've ran fram filters on 2 vehicles that went over 200k miles with no issues. Never seen an issue.

As far as I see He never actually tests the filtering ability of the filter. Just looks inside them. Any brand filter was garbage and could be linked to failures then there would be class action lawsuits everywhere.

Pick a filter. Use it. Change your oil at the suggested interval and you don't have an issue.

I've seen other videos like this. I've never understood the concern with cardboard ends on what is essentially a paper filter. I do wonder about the surface rust in the Fram filters but that could be caused by storage at the wholesaler.

It is prety much a known fact that the Fram Hydro filters will NOT work on a Bolens Hydro GT. I have used the Baldwin filters for years on everything and no problems at all. My source closed up shop so will stay with the NAPA gold as long as he keeps them in stock.

I've seen other videos like this. I've never understood the concern with cardboard ends on what is essentially a paper filter. I do wonder about the surface rust in the Fram filters but that could be caused by storage at the wholesaler.

I'd say storage issue.

My jeep takes the slide in cartridges. I buy frame ones. Looks identical to the OEM one I took out except the rubber ends are orange.

The quality of the filter media and the amount used makes a huge difference in filtering ability. Years ago we damaged a racing engine twice using an STP filter on a small block GM engine. Before we sent the crankshaft out the second time we decided to rod out the oil passages ourselves to see what the problem was. We found filter media in the oil passages which starved the lower rod bearings of oil. Went to a different filter manufacturer and the problems ended.
There's a good (or bad) reason Fram filters sell for less.

I used to use Wix exclusively but had this happen twice on two different vehicles. One on a Camry and one on a Dodge Journey. I've been using Mobil1 filters but don't know who makes them.

Wix filter Camry 001.jpgWix filter Camry 003.jpg

We used Hastings and Amzoil filters in the racing days. Amzoil were Hastings filters re-branded. Sure wish I could find Hastings filters somewhere local.

DAC

I used to use Wix exclusively but had this happen twice on two different vehicles. One on a Camry and one on a Dodge Journey. I've been using Mobil1 filters but don't know who makes them.

View attachment 12368View attachment 12369

We used Hastings and Amzoil filters in the racing days. Amzoil were Hastings filters re-branded. Sure wish I could find Hastings filters somewhere local.

DAC
Go to any parts place that carry "Federated" parts & filters. They are built by Hastings, just a different label put on them. ....Well, just did a search. Appears to be NO Federated stores near you. :(

Go to any parts place that carry "Federated" parts & filters. They are built by Hastings, just a different label put on them. ....Well, just did a search. Appears to be NO Federated stores near you. :(

Thanks for searching, Daniel! I may just start ordering filters before I need them too!

DAC

I worked for a company that was once owned by Purolator, we were developing a water separator for diesel fuel applications and had their filter group at our disposal. According to the group we worked with, I remember Fram being one of the least desirable quality wise. I remember the Ford filters, wix filters, hastings and the purolator filters all as being the good ones as far as quality and performance. There were probably more, but that is all that I remember as of now.

Back